Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD can't live on just cheese and cheerios...

Default DD can't live on just cheese and cheerios...

and other things "dry" like rice cakes and chicken and puffs and wagon wheels...
    She's a great self feeder when it comes to the above list, but is HORRIBLE when it comes to anything mushy. We've tried chunks/cubes of banana, avocado, cottage cheese, peaches, cooked carrot, hummus, etc. Put these on her tray and she either throws them overboard for the dog to eat or mushes them into an oblivion and wipes it on her clothes. None of it makes her mouth even for a taste. But the minute you put something "dry" on her tray, in it goes and she signs for "more" until you stuff her full of the other stuff. I'm trying to feed her a balanced diet of fruit and veggies and grains, yet she'd be content to eat nothing but cheerioes and string cheese. What's a mother to do? Is there a secret to getting her to eat the other stuff?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: DD can't live on just cheese and cheerios...

She's not quite a year yet? I wouldnt start to worry. Those are the things she can handle - she'll get a better handle other things the older she gets. Can you put stuff like hummus on a cracker? You know - mix the things... worth a shot. But still not time to worry

How often is she nursing?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

meat yet?

Show her how to dip those dry things. Babies and toddlers love dip! Hummus and yogurt make great dips. Hummus, especially, since it sticks.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Meat, yes, chicken mostly. I guess meat must have a more "dry" texture to her.
    She is nursing 6-8 times a day (waking usually 3x's a night to nurse).

Dipping is a good idea...any particular crackers and/or "dippers" you all recommend? She hasn't shown any signs of allergies.
    Last edited by @llli*lilbirdie22; June 16th, 2008 at 02:18 PM.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Meat, yes, chicken mostly. I guess meat must have a more "dry" texture to her.
    She is nursing 6-8 times a day (waking usually 3x's a night to nurse).

Dipping is a good idea...any particular crackers and/or "dippers" you all recommend? She hasn't shown any signs of allergies.
    Well she is nursing a good amount, so the solids are just as an extra still...

We've used whole wheat type crackers with good results (meaning he loves them ) You could make your own too!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

have you tried rolling them in something dry-like banana in crushed up cheerios? Maybe it would help with the texture thing
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Thanks for the recommendations. We did a banana in crushed cheerios (we're calling it cheerio shake-n-bake!) and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! She couldn't get enough. Guess I'll be spending a lot of time crushing cheerios. It'll probably be a good stress reliever...just me, some cheerios, and a meat mallet.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    It'll probably be a good stress reliever...just me, some cheerios, and a meat mallet.
    I just wanted to add that we had the same deal - he wouldn't eat anything unless it was dry or finger food. Nothing that had to be spooned. He's almost 2 and will eat some things of a soupy texture but not too many. We've figured out a well rounded diet without those things. He loves raw veggies and fruits!