Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: zyrtec affect supply?

Default zyrtec affect supply?

has anyone out there found zyrtec to affect (lower) their milk supply? i took some today and milk output is lower (i EP). i am not sure if this is related or not? anyone else experience this or a change in supply due to zyrtec?

Default Re: zyrtec affect supply?

I'm going to bet it's not due to the zyrtec..for 2 reasons you just took it (and it's not been related to lower output IIRC) and based on your recent issues and what was surely stressful situation/s. Stress can indeed lower supply a bit...

JM2C
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

i was thinking i read allergy meds can lower supply? i realize there are other issues too, but supply was fine until several hours after zyrtec?

: dry up sinuses = sometimes dry up milk, refrence dr hale to see what he says...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thecowgirl View Post
    i was thinking i read allergy meds can lower supply? i realize there are other issues too, but supply was fine until several hours after zyrtec?
    Some can (usually you find it with sedating antihistamines). BUT doesn't mean all do or that they will every time (especailly with out regular use)

ETA Looking on Dr Hales forums I found this in a particular post questionging the use of Zyrtec:

Lori:

There is absolutely no evidence that antihistamines 'dry up' milk. This is old data and no evidence supports it at all at least that I have seen.

Zyrtec and Clarityn are my favorites as they are mostly non-sedating.
    Clarityn has been studied in breastfeeding mothers and is not a problem.

Tom Hale, PH.D.
    Last edited by @llli*number3; June 16th, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes it can... it dryes up stuff and it doesn't know the difference between milk and other things. Have taken it and had to stop because of that. Any anihistamine(sorry about the bad spelling) can do that!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work