Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any one have any ideas?!

Default Any one have any ideas?!

I am a second time mom and breastfeeder...I did not give a bottle to my first boy because...well I just didn't want to or see the need. With my second boy, I have a MIL who would like to baby sit so my husband and I can go out sometime. My current problem is this: my baby is almost 4mths old and has taken a bottle of expressed milk easily since about 7 weeks. We were giving him a bottle about once a week. The past 4 times we tried, he would refuse, cry, put his tongue against the roof of his mouth so the bottle wouldn't go in...
    I have not been ready to leave him with anyone as of recently but last week I went to town for 3 hours and left him with my MIL. He would not eat and waited until I got home.
    I have started to introduce a sippy cup just to get used to and play with so I'm wondering if this is the route I should go and just forget the bottle.
    I'm also wondering if it's just his sore gums. To top it all off, my pump just broke!
    Can any one offer any suggestions...maybe there's something I'm missing???
    Thanks

Default Re: Any one have any ideas?!

You seem to be on the right road with the sippy cup. Have you seen him take to to know that he will? You can also try a regular cup.

On the pump breaking. If it's a new pump and a Medela, they have a very good warranty. I would call them to see what can be done. They will troubleshoot for you and most likely send you either the replacement parts or a new pump if need be.

HTH.

Moved to Breastfeeding Your Infant for more replies.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thanks for the reply...

It is a Madela pump but it is no where near new; bought at a yard sale by my best friend and then given to me. I think I'm going to have to invest in a new one. Has any one ever tried a manual pump? how are they they?
    He is starting to drink from a sippy but I haven't tried anything other than
    H2O yet just because I was trying to get him cooled off on a hot day. I was totally expecting him to just spill or drool it all over himself. I might try expressing some today and see how he does. I would not leave him any length of time without being sure he can drink.

C