Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teeth - help!

Default teeth - help!

my 10 1/2 month old son has recently sprouted his first teeth. he has one on top that is about 1/2 of the way through, and one on bottom that is just started. when I nurse him on the right side it hurts! I guess his latch is maybe too small, and as he sucks his tooth closes in on my nipple. I'm having a hard time adjusting his latch. I have found that if I nurse him in football style then it hurts less, but I know we need to fix the latch issue or else we won't be able to keep going when more of these teeth come in! Any suggestions?

J

Default Re: teeth - help!

When my now 9 year old sprouted teeth and bit on me I took him off, sat him on the couch beside me and said, "no biting mama" and put him back on. He cried of course when I took him off and then when I put him back on, he did it again. So I repeated the same thing and I can't remember him biting me much again after that. He got his first tooth at about 5 or 6 months I think and more came in quickly after that. We managed to BF through lots and lots of teeth as he BFed until a week before his 2nd birthday when he weaning himself.

Well, unless he's actually biting you, I'm not sure that there's too much you can do other than what you're already doing (i.e., adjusting positions to find the most comfortable one). If you feel like he's comfort nursing a lot - well, I wouldn't ever tell you NOT to comfort nurse your child if he needs it - but if you're not sure he really needs to nurse you might offer a teething toy or a sippy cup with a bit of cool water for him to chew on prior to offering the breast. That way if he's just looking for something to put pressure on his sore gums it doesn't have to be YOU all the time

When DS was about that age I remember having teeth indentations around my nipples! It's just a function of their mouths still being so little...as he gets bigger I promise it will get better. In the meantime, keep working on positions and latching that don't hurt, and the discomfort will pass before you know it
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

he's definately not biting, it is just that as he sucks that tooth rubs on my nipple. ouch! thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I am glad i have a few tubes of lanolin! I'm also glad he waited so long to get teeth.

J

my DD is 10 months also and has 4 teeth. I have more pain when she is "playing" at the breast instead of truely nursing. Do you ever notice better latch at sometimes than others? Maybe if he isn't latched well you can try a teething ring like someone else suggested, then try to bf again in 30 mins to an hour and see if his latch improved.

My son is 10 1/2 months and I have the same problem...on the right side. He has two front bottom teeth and the left front top tooth and the second tooth next to it. Sometimes it seems to rub more than others. So far I'm still intact.

the pain is pretty much the same whenever he is at the breast. he is definately eating and not playing. as well as i can tell, his top tooth is rubbing along my nipple and that is what is causing the pain. I guess he is not opening his mouth wide enough? I am trying to get him to relatch, but when I remove him from the breast he becomes very upset and begins to cry. for the time being I am trying to adjust the way I am holding him to reduce the rubbing. It is really painful and I'm at a loss right now!

Maybe a nipple shield would help? But he might refuse this if he isn't used to a bottle.

I've had this same problem. Ours was just a lazy latch - and when their teeth are just coming in and sharp it's very painful. I had to make sure his mouth was open WIDE and that he took in a large part of my breast.
    He still puts teeth marks on me sometimes, but it doesn't hurt really. It does get irritating with the teeth, also make sure he's not sliding off the breast!
    I broke out the boppy again when it started to get bad, that really helped too.