Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back from my hols!

Thumbs up Back from my hols!

I am back! Had a lovely time, and the LOs are tanned, but they didn't get burnt (made sure of that).

No problems with the BF, although I felt some tourists were a little frosty towards me, but I didn't dare look at anyone or make any eye contact. I BF my 23 mth DD2 on the beach, by the pool, on the plane, on the coach, in the cafe bars and in the village square and I drew the line at BF in the restaurants. I BF respectively in quiet corners (if I could find one) and I didn't go topless on the beach either! I was approached by a Greek woman once as I BF by the pool. It was 1st time ever anyone had approached me, and I thought I was gonna get abuse or something! But to my surprise the Greek woman's response was very friendly and she pinched my DD2's face while I was BF and said my DD2 was very cute! .

So on the whole everything went well! Yeah, maybe there were comments on me BF a toddler in amongst the crowds, but I weren't listening nor looking.

And, hello girls!

Default Re: Back from my hols!

I'm so impressed with your breastfeeding so comfortably--we went to the beach for vacation, and I wondered if I would have been able to do it (my son only nurses 2-3 times a day now, so it didn't become a decision I had to make). Kudos to you, and I'm glad you had a good trip!!

Wink Re: Back from my hols!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milk.maid View Post
    No problems with the BF, although I felt some tourists were a little frosty towards me, but I didn't dare look at anyone or make any eye contact.
    Thanks, I noticed that when me and my DH 'bumped' into people, you know, like you do to say hello etc. to be friendly/polite. Some of these people only said hello to my DH rather than to me and I felt that must be b/c they have caught me BF somewhere and they thought me rather odd or cruel.

I didn't care one bit, cos I know I have education on my side, just look on the Internet all those hundreds of websites shouting out the benefits of extended BF, surely these people must have had a peak at them. Or if not maybe they are intending to when they get back home cos now have seen me BF a toddler.

Good for you! After not NIP for several months, I had to nurse on a transatlantic flight in front of LOTS of people and my toddler is a wiggly, noisy, shouting kind of character so everyone knew about 'kikis' and one person even got to see them too because he likes to play peek-a-boo round them, though he usually reserves that for peeking at Daddy. I was absolutely mortified , but nobody was bothered.

I've always made it a point to avoid eye contact while NIP because I don't want to risk a disapproving look. On that flight, I was in a foul mood from lack of sleep and I was ready to glare at anyone who dared to challenge my right to give my baby the food nature intended so I held my head high for the first time NIP and noticed that most people weren't looking and anyone who glanced my way smiled at me or said something about 'just what he needed' or 'beautiful child'. I hope it's an indication that we are beginning to accept that BF is normal and expected...even when the child is old enough to ask for it (which my father used to think was weird and now thinks is great)!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purple.monkey View Post
    I hope it's an indication that we are beginning to accept that BF is normal and expected...even when the child is old enough to ask for it (which my father used to think was weird and now thinks is great)!
    I certainly hope so, when my DH was talking to some woman sitting in across the aisle from us on the plane ride home, she gave me a big loving warm smile while I was BF my toddler. I've noticed that when my DH starts talking to people, (he's can be right chatter box on holidays!) the people he speaks to, seem 'warm up' and 'ease up' after a while and then seem to accept us for the family unit what we are. It's must be my DH's charm.