Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dry Run

Default Dry Run

I am wrapping up my maternity leave and am practicing for pumping while away with the routine that I can handle during my day (4 pumping session: 1 morning, one noon, one afterwork, one before bed). My LO has become a bit of a lazy eater as we have introduced the bottle and so I will be EP from this point on. We have gone 11 weeks now with BM and some formula (which I feel a little guilty for, but hey, she is getting as much BM as I can give her).

Here is the predicament: what I pump now is only enough to satisfy maybe 1/4-1/3 of her daily needs. I am ready to give up when I go back to work, well at a bit of a breaking point anyways. 12 weeks of mostly BM has turned into mostly formula and a little BM. It makes me feel good that she is getting something from me in the form of BM even if it is very little. The effort of pumping to only satisfy 1/4 of her needs is a little frustrating. I am a successful businesswoman and support our household (my husband is a SAHD) and I want to do everything I can for her.....hence the guilt of not being able to fully satisfy her with pumping....when I am successful with other parts of my life.

I am proud to have made it this far (basically 3 months) supporting her the way I have. For the pumping only Moms, I would love to hear your support!

Please don't lecture me on formula usage, I am sharing what I do openly and honestly in this forum hoping for the support that I can get with the pumping that I do. I have already been questioned (by a very opinionated BF) once on the forum for my first post when I mentioned the "f-word"...formula that is. I don't come here to be judged, I come here for support on what I can do to provide BM in the ways that I can to my LO.

Also, I would be curious on any articles/links that could be provided for the benefits of BF over time. Everything I have read really doesn't explain medical benefits after 3-6 months of BF. I do know and agree with the emotional benefits

Default Re: Dry Run

Exclusively pumping here for 8 months. It is difficult but you can do it. The key is pump a lot during the day to build your supply - especially since LO isn't nursing. I pump 6 times a day now (You may have to start with 8 times). When do you return to work? I pump at: 6:00, 9:15, 12:30, 3:15, 6:00, and 8:30. I teach so finding the time was a struggle but it works. I just keep telling myself it is the best thing for DD b/c it is a pain to pump, wash, pump, wash, pump, wash........Good Luck - You can do it, mama! You will find lots of support here.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

is your lo using a slow flow nipple when she gets a bottle? If not, her being used to the flow from a bottle may be the reason for her being lazy at breast. Maybe you could try nursing frequently when you are with her and giving her EBM while your a way. If pumping ends up not working out for you, then you could try supplementing while you are at work and only offering the breast when you are with her.

what do you mean only meeting 1/4 - 1/3 her needs? how much are you able to pump per session.

I also recently just started going back to work two weeks ago, so where both in the same boat.

Thanks for the comments and support. I am pretty comfortable being a combo (formula as well as BM) feeder for my LO, but would like to have as much BM for her as possible.

When I say 1/4-1/3 of her needs, I am going by how much she takes from the bottle and how much of that is the EBM that I am able to give to her. She is a smaller baby (she was 8lbs 11 oz at her 2 month), and is currently taking about 4 ounces at each feeding....I am lucky to pump 2 oz.....it was about 3.5 with the first morning pump, but now consistantly 2 oz. I have noticed in general that my supply is pretty touchy, and I think that I need to increase my fluid intake....trying to drink lots of water (which is not so much fun for those muscles I am trying to rebuild). As for rest, we are starting to sleep through the night in a good 6-7 hour stretch and so that has been helpful.

Thanks again, these forums can be very empowering!

No judgement here! I had to use a lot of formula when my supply dropped and I couldn't meet her needs by b/f. Moms do what they have to do!

If you're planning to pump at work, you might invest in extra sets of flanges and the rest of the pumping kit so that you don't have to wash between uses. There are also wipes made for quick cleaning by Medela that you could use to cut down on time.

There are ways to increase supply. Are you interested in those or are you ok with what you're pumping now? Fluids are definitely a big part of the equation as are diet and rest. Sounds like the rest part is good if LO lets you have 6-7 hours at a stretch. What a dream!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I just want to give you a big ! I know what you mean! I EP and have struggled with supply issues! At my best I was pumping half of what my LO was taking. It's tough because the pumps, even as good as they are, are not as efficient as a baby. I have been EPing for about 14 months for my LO and it has been very rewarding. My advice is to do your best. This is not all or nothing. Every drop, and I mean every drop is a gift that only you can give your baby. For me I know watching the amounts was depressing and felt like a losing battle, but I know that my breastmilk has made a difference in my LO's life!

Let's see, extra flanges are definitely a big help. I'd also recommend a hands free setup. Those 2 things are lifesavers for me! You could try eating oatmeal to increase supply. Or taking herbs. Oatmeal doesn't work much for me, but you never know! Definitely keep up your fluids. I don't remember who said it before on this forum but, "drink water like it's your job!" I always noticed a dip in supply when I didn't drink enough water! Good luck and I HTH!!!

OMG, you don't know how good you just made me feel I am wrapping up my 3 month maternity leave and on Monday I go back and was starting to get a little depressed about my pumping efforts. I do have some extra pieces. The hospital provided me with a Medela manual pump, and those pieces with my Medela Pump N Style will definitely keep me going! I didn't know about the Medela wipes, so thank you for that! I think I am going to go with some oatmeal and see how that helps. Supply and BM is a beautiful yet touchy thing. I totally agree with hh13 that "every drop is a gift that only you can give your baby". Our women's bathroom has a nice storage area where we can keep a few personal items. I think after I pick up some wipes (I was planning on some Lysol spray too as I will be using our handicap stall in the bathroom----trust me it is pretty clean in there but I want to spray off where I will set my Medela bag) and load up on batteries for my pump, I will be set. I think love for my LO and the best I can give her is enough to keep me going now Thank you again everyon

Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

you may find that you will pump more when you are away from your lo. bec when you nurse and pump, that is usually just extra that you are pumping...but when you cut the nursing part out....your pumping session may go up in the amount of oz bec you lo is not taking any from you! At least that is the case with me! and def massage the breast the whole 20 min pumping session, I can double my quantity when I do this!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!