Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My daughter is resting her teeth on my nipples...

Default My daughter is resting her teeth on my nipples...

My 18 month old is resting her teeth on my nipples while nursing. This just started a few weeks ago and it's extremely uncomfortable! I used to love nursing her and now I feel like I have to stop because it's so uncomfortable. I breastfeed 3 times a day and now I am weaning the afternoon session and the evening session next.
    I try pulling her off and explaining to her that it hurts and she has to take her teeth off my nipples, but she seems to be ignoring me. I can't imagine that she doesn't understand because she understands everything I say! I end up pulling her off by putting my finger on her teeth (saying "no teeth") about 10 - 20 times per session now. She becomes extremely frustrated and cries but just won't stop with the teeth.

Any suggestions?!?! I would like to continue to breastfeed her until she naturally stops, but I can't deal with the teeth anymore!

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: My daughter is resting her teeth on my nipples...

Is she getting any new teeth that you know of?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

or could you be pg?
    nipple pain is a sign of pg for some mothers.

What position are you nursing in? Is she comfortable in the position? Is her mouth positioned sort of thrusted out, with her chin touching your breast? My dd will sometime rest her teeth and if I reposition her body, it seems to help.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have always nursed her in the same positions, either us both laying down or her in my arms while I am sitting up. Her chin never touches my breast but I will attempt other positions tonight and see if that helps.
    thanks!

She is getting some new teeth but this never happened before...

Thought I might post a link that could give you some ideas on how to manage with teeth. She probably is not biting in her eyes. It is probably rubbing..that just feels awful. My toddler will do this if he is really tired when nursing. I use the tips on the KellyMom link and it helps me get through.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

Look under not really biting, but scraping or indentations
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Thank you!
    If anyone else has this same problem, this is a great link with different suggestions that helped.
    Thanks again for posting that link, much appreciated...

My lo did the same thing especially when she was teething and then she thought it was a funny game to do with mommy.. I would take her off the nipple and tell her it hurt Mommy... and I am not joking she would laugh... So I would take her off and keep repeating it hurt me.... She actually self weaned herself at about 19 months.. Just woke up one morning and was done.... so I guess I really don't have any advice but I understand........
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones