Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solu-medrol 125 mg injection - ok to bf?

Default solu-medrol 125 mg injection - ok to bf?

i rec'd a one time dose of solu-medrol 125 mg injection - is ok to bf? i found at kellymom - http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/....html#Steroids

but is this considered a "high dosage" ? i can't get the link at kelly mom for high dosage methylpred. to work?

the dr told me to pump and dump, but it seems like this is unnecessary? any other mamas had this injection?

Default Re: solu-medrol 125 mg injection - ok to bf?

Did you check Dr Hales forums?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I've looked it up in Dr. Hale's book for you. Here's the info:

A Medication Guide for Breastfeeding Moms by Thomas Hale and Ghia McAfee, p. 155

Used in normal doses, it would be very unikely to affect a breastfed infant. But, the effect depends on dose and duration of exposure. In general, the amount of this and other steroids transferred into breast milk is minimal as long as the dose does not exceed 80mg per day. However, relating the side effects of steroids received from breastmilk with the maternal dose is difficult. Each situation should be evaluated individually. Extended use of high doses could cause the infant to have steroid side effects including decreased linear growth rate (height). Low to moderate doses are believed to have minimal effects on breastfed infants. See prednisone.

Time to clear: 11-14hrs
    L2
    Pregnancy Risk Catergory: C
    Adult dose: 2-60mg daily
    Alternative: prednisone

Prednisone: p. 200

Only small amounts (0.14%) of most corticosteroids are transferred into breastmilk. Even in larger doses, they are not contraindicted in breastfeeding mothers. Brief applications of high dose steroids are probably not contraindicted as the overall exposure is low.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

so is prednisone the same thing, or something different? based on this, it sounds like i should be ok, even though it is a high dose?

i saw on dr. hales' forums, he mentions a monograph in his book re: methylpred. what does the monograph say?

From what I gather prednisone is not the same, just an alternative. y/k? DId he say why the large dose?

BTW - how old is baby?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

he is almost 1 year old. he gets a little solid food each day (but not much, like maybe a few tablespoons total)

the large does was due to an allergic rash, a one time shot to help me get over it quick

THat does make it 'better', that he's older. When are you scheduled to get the injection?

Can you call DS' pedi beforehand to discuss it with them if you're concerned?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    THat does make it 'better', that he's older. When are you scheduled to get the injection?

Can you call DS' pedi beforehand to discuss it with them if you're concerned?
    i have already had the shot, and now am trying to decide how long/if to pump and dump. i am certain his pedia would say not to BF, b/c his pedia is almost anti-BF in general. but otherwise is a good pedia... i suspect he will push me to stop bf'ing totally after 1 yr, which i will NOT do.

Oh - okay - missed that. How long ago?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson