Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where to start?

Question Where to start?

My dughter is 10 weeks old today. She was almost exclusivly breast feed her first week. I had a tubal ligation right after she was born and she was in neonatal ICU for several hours right after birth. her first feeding was formula, but the next was breast feeding, and for her first week, mostly was brest milk.

After that my tubal ligation got infected and I went on antibiotics. At first I was on keflix and was told I could continue breastfeeding, but the pain associated with the infection made it difficult to breastfeed as much and my production dropped. The keflix did not clear the infection and after a trip to the ER, I was prescribed Levaquin. At that point I was told no more breastfeeding, so I acepted that and went to formula only.

She has done well with formula and is actually eating ceral from a spoon (I gave birth to a little piglet!!).

Yesterday morning My husband and I did not want to get out of bed, so after she was feed, we just layed in bed with her and my 8 year old son playing with them both...typical weekend morning. Well, my duaghter was laying on my chest and "rooted" her way through the neck opening of my gown, found a nipple and latched on! I have not nursed her since she was 3 weeks old! My milk never completely dried up...up until a day or two ago I could still squeeze a drop or two out and actually had it "spray" out a little. I was amazed that Ari nursed for about 5 minutes and seemed to be gettting milk out. I have not been able to get more than a drop or two out since then (although I have tried every few hours).

This seemed so comforting for her and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I was wondering how easy it would be for me to start nursing her again (some). I work full time, and would not be able to pump constantly. I will have to drive to my husband's office to have a place to pump. Would it be possible to get my production back up to the point that I could nurse her once or twice a day and maybe more during the weekend? I ordered some of the herbs mention on this board and am going to go today and see if I can find them locally.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Shanda

Default Re: Where to start?

The more she nurses the faster your milk will come in.
    So I say if she will nurse again just latch her on as much as possible. and you will see a change fairly fast.
    it took a month for me to go from drops to 2.75 oz. but once he started to latch in 1 week my supply more then doubled. !

goodluck!

Well, its been five days now. Up until yesterday I was making a few drops every few hours , up from a few drops a day. Today it seems like I have not made much. I can not pump any out (rented a hospital grade pump). I can still express some with my hand, but not as much today. I tried to let Ari nurse last night, but she was not feeling well because she got her shots yesterday. I have also noticed that since I have been taking the fenugreek, Ari is not as interested in nursing....I wonder if the smell/taste from it is causing her to have an aversion? I can not take her off the bottle, I work full time and she has to be in daycare. Has anyone tried placing a bottle nipple on their nipple to get their baby to nurse? This was suggested for me to try to get her used to nursing again and to help save my nipples! I have been trying really hard to pump often, but since I work, I can only pump every 3-4 hours at the most during the day.

I really figured it was be easier than this....with my son I was overproducing...I was pumping 32 oz of milk a day when he was three weeks old, and still nursing him also!

Shanda

Have you tried a nipple shield? My situation was a lot like yours, and this really helped us. My daughter was exclusively fed with bottles (formula and ebm) for almost two months. Now she is 10 weeks old and nursing again. Good luck!

yes the shield might work. not sure if it's recommended or not but i used one for 4 weeks just to get him to my breast.
    after that i just took it away and finally one day he took just me. he has been nursing sense as well. but only for comfort!

Where can I buy one? I was given one in the hospital with my son, but it was made of latex. I have since developed a latex allergy. I will have to find one made of silicone.

THis morning I was surprised that I seem to be making a little more milk. It actually sprayed out a little when I expressed a little by hand. The pump is not getting much out...it just beads up on the tip of my nipple. I am wondering if the shield of the pump is too small. With my son I just used a cheal electric pump from K-mart, but it had a larger Shield that was made completely of silicone. I wish I would not have loaned it outnow....I should have known I would never see it again!

Shanda