Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: if baby doesnt wakeup for feeding...uregent

Default if baby doesnt wakeup for feeding...uregent

I put her in the moby at 7pm and its 10.30 now.
    Should I just wait to see if she will wake up and want to feed ? I am scared of starving her. I know if I take her out of the wrap she will wake up and want to feed right away.
    She is 7 weeks old and usually wakes up by herself for feedings (infact today she has slept only in very brief spurts of 10 mts-20 mts)

Default Re: if baby doesnt wakeup for feeding...uregent

I remember panicking about the same thing! I'm guessing that if she's only slept in short spurts today, she may just be tired. Do what makes you feel most comfortable, but our pediatrician said to give him 4-5 hours, then wake him (though he was a good sleeper pretty much from the start). If I were you, I'd give it a little longer before I moved her. Any opportunity to let a sleeping baby sleep is a welcome one around here!!

At 7 weeks your supply should be well established and you should be fine with letting her sleep longer stretches. Go grab a nap!!! That ought to wake her right up. Always works for my girls.

No worries! She's catching some much needed zzzz's.

Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    I put her in the moby at 7pm and its 10.30 now.
    Should I just wait to see if she will wake up and want to feed ? I am scared of starving her. I know if I take her out of the wrap she will wake up and want to feed right away.
    She is 7 weeks old and usually wakes up by herself for feedings (infact today she has slept only in very brief spurts of 10 mts-20 mts)
    I do believe that after the 6 week mark that they can have about one 4-5 hour stretch where they do not need to eat. Eventually this will stretch out to 7-8 hours and more as they get older. But if you feel you need to wake her then do it. But my LO would sleep for 5-7 hours at the 7 week mark with out a feeding. She would just make up the calories she didn't get with future feedings.
    Married my soulmate Jay 4/22/06
    First time Mom to Alexis 10/29/07 6lbs 15oz 19 3/4 in
    6 month checkup 12lb 10oz 26 1/2 in
    7 month weight check 14lb 6oz - Yea!!
    9 Month checkup - 16lbs

and

Love to

Goal
    6 months
    9 months
    12 months

How has this morning been? Everything turn out ok?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thanks for asking, so... 7 pm she slept. I tried to wake her up at 11, no luck. Out like a light. At aroung 12 I managed to get her to nurse for abt 20-30 seconds tops. Got really worried so I decided if she was going to be so sleepy the only option I had was to pump and feed her because she takes down stuff from the bottle really fast. but my husband wanted to just let her sleep... its very convenient what he does- when he is called on to wait on her so I can sleep, it becomes "she is full, let her sleep" and when I am sleeping its "feed her, she is hungry"... I digress. Anyway at 3.30 I freaked out because it was 7.5 hrs. We gave her about 1.5 ounces of BM and she slept again and at 5.30 abt 2 ounces of BM. She slept till 7 and woke up. I have been trying to feed her since morning. She was SO tired and low energy when she woke up. PErked up only after abt 10 mts into the feeding.
    I am so tired and sleepy. My husband was supposed to help with at least the weekend feedings, burping her etc., instead all I have is someone who plays video games and if I give him the baby to feed or burp puts her on his belly and cuddles her. great fathers day behavior...

For the first couple months I would make my lo wake up. With a cold wash cloth or taking all his clothes off... whatever it took. I made sure he nursed every 2-3 hours. He also began sleeping past his feeding time, and once he hit 2-3 months I would let him sleep a little longer. Sometimes go up to 4 hours, but never more than that unless it was night. He also would take little cat naps of 10-20 minutes, still does (6 months old). As long as your lo is growing and seems generally happy. If you stray from the initial 2-3 hours it should be fine... just not too much. Good luck!

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby-got-back View Post
    At 7 weeks your supply should be well established and you should be fine with letting her sleep longer stretches. Go grab a nap!!! That ought to wake her right up. Always works for my girls.

No worries! She's catching some much needed zzzz's.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.