Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when is it really hunger ?

Default when is it really hunger ?

My 7 week old LO seems to want to feed constantly. All these weeks she would nurse and then go to sleep nursing and wake up rooting. I mean she did not have any awake time at all when she was not nursing.
    She was either nursing or sleeping.

But when she wakes up crying and rooting, if instead of nursing her, I put her in a mobywrap and hold her, she just sleeps. Dont babies stay awake if they are hungry ?
    Also if I have her in a wrap she has gone 4+ hrs without sleep. This from a baby who wakes up every 1.5 hrs to feed if in the crib.

Default Re: when is it really hunger ?

Your confused about her signals, is she always really hungry?
    It's ok to let a baby nurse for something other than hunger. It's probably some of her just needing to be at the breast, that's ok, especially at 7 weeks old.
    Also, around this time babies will have a growth spurt where they nurse nurse nurse and all of a sudden they grow and gain weight fast. Totally normal, and it comes a lot in the first year.
    It's ok to try something different than the breast - you'll find that mothering at the breast (not just breastfeeding) will almost always work to calm a baby - but many mothers find that in the early weeks they just have to expect to be nursing a great deal. The moby is a great way to have her near you, and get some stuff done, it satisfies her need to be close to you. Many babies need to be close to mom - and usually around 3 months they will start being ok with some time looking at toys or playing.
    So really, very normal, and unless she had an underlying medical condition like jaundice babies will let you know they are hungry and not go back to sleep
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

so... she is still sleeping. I put her in the moby at 7pm. Should I just wait to see if she will wake up and want to feed ? I am scared of starving her.

Ppl keep talking about wet diapers versus ones with poo. How do you know ? Whenever I change her she has poo in it. Do ppl change the baby on a schedule, if so how often ? I use disposables.

I feel completely clueless and at a loss about my baby

I really havent gotten more than 3 hrs sleep every night since she was born (maybe one night I did when my hubby took over) because she has reflux and gags and chokes when I put her in the crib. So I am constantly having to hold her.

It sounds like what she is doing is wanting to comfort nurse. Nursing is not just for eating, but also give your LO sense of security and comfort.

awe poor mom lots of reflux babys nurse often because it makes them feal beter.

have you tried laying her down in her infant car seat?
    some babies like that..
    Shes on meds right?

It's confusing and frightening at times. Your doing a great job, we all need support and idea's from other mothers!

so... she is still sleeping. I put her in the moby at 7pm. Should I just wait to see if she will wake up and want to feed ? I am scared of starving her.
    If your scared she's not getting enough, you could try to dream feed. Which means you offer her the breast (brush your nipple on her cheek or lips) and see if she will take it without really waking her up. Usually everyone says "don't wake a sleeping baby" the instances where I would encourage you to wake her would be if she had poor weight gain, poor diaper output, a medical problem that interfered with her sleep/wake cycle or was a special needs baby.

Ppl keep talking about wet diapers versus ones with poo. How do you know ? Whenever I change her she has poo in it. Do ppl change the baby on a schedule, if so how often ? I use disposables.
    Grab a diaper, and put a few tablespoons of water into it. Then feel the diaper from the outside. It gets sort of squishy, not hard and flat like it feels when it's dry. If your unsure when she's pee'd feel her diaper, and then feel a dry one. Most likely when she has a bowel movement she's peed as well.
    I think most moms just try to change their babies when they feel wet, or when they smell or see that they've had a bowel movement.

I feel completely clueless and at a loss about my baby
    It's ok mama, you are not supposed to know everything! Think of the things you do know about her. You are learning about her as she grows, and you've not known each other that long. We are always growing and learning with our children, they never stop teaching us.
    Some mom's like to refer to books, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and Dr. Sears The Baby Book - might be two you'd be interested in.

I really havent gotten more than 3 hrs sleep every night since she was born (maybe one night I did when my hubby took over) because she has reflux and gags and chokes when I put her in the crib. So I am constantly having to hold her.
    This really makes it hard for you to get some rest. Have you spoken to her doctor? Also the previous posters have given you some good info. You might also want to check out this board, there are often mom's with babies who have reflux.

HTH
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!