Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help... Confused ... Supply issue or Teething?

Default Help... Confused ... Supply issue or Teething?

My lo has just turned 6 mos old. He has been teething for several months (extreme drooler etc.). I'm not sure if his waking up nearly every hour is due to his teething, a growth spurt, or ... is he not getting enough milk??

I pumped this morning and got 4 oz from EACH breast. How much should a 6 month old be getting and/or how much should I be able to pump at this stage.

My milk production has been the same for the past couple months. Shouldn't it have increased with his age? I'm worried that a combo of my weight loss (60 lbs... gained 80 during pregnancy) and/or my breast size decreasing with the weight loss (40DD to 36C) has caused my supply to plateau???

Help! I'm not sure if I should try to take Mother's Milk to increase supply... or start introducing solids i.e. rice cereal... or pumping and giving at night before bed... or if it's just teething and not to do with milk at all. Agh!

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

Default Re: Help... Confused ... Supply issue or Teething?

Introducing solids will not help your supply.

The pump is not a good indicator of your supply as baby can get much more from your breasts. How is diaper output?

If it is a supply issue, lots of great advice was given on this thread.

Good luck!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

His diapers are normal with good amounts of wet and dirty.

I wasn't thinking of introducing solids to increase supply... rather to just fill his tummy to sleep through the night.

He suckles/nurses A LOT .... I am thinking in part to soothe himself due to the teething, and also naturally because he is growing.

I'm just not sure if the night is rough because of milk supply or not... I know my supply is greater in the morning. We swaddle him still so he is not waking himself with hands etc.

Thanks for the link... I'll take a look... hopefully it will give some insight regardless. Thanks!

I think I forgot to mention that each time he wakes up (every hour or every other hour if I'm lucky)... I nurse him to sleep again. It only takes about 5 minutes of nursing before he is fast asleep again. I have always nursed him to sleep... but not until the past couple weeks has he been having sleeping issues.

How do I wean him from nursing to sleep... just let him cry?? I will admit up front... I baby him A LOT... I pretty much never let him cry. Unless we are in the car driving so I have no choice. Am I creating a little monster lol....

Well, at six months it's perfectly fine to introduce solids, imo (and in the opinion of my family physician), so it couldn't hurt (of course, don't force-feed him if he's not interested or if he's having bad reactions to food...but generally speaking it won't hurt). Probably growth spurt or teething, or even a combination of both, though.

The key to getting him to sleep (at least, this is what worked with mine) without nursing is to introduce other sleep cues. You could try singing or putting on some white noise while you're nursing him to sleep, then after a while take him off before he's asleep but while you're still singing or playing white noise. When you think he's ready, try just the white noise or singing, no nursing.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa