Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: grapefruit seed extract and mastitis?

Default grapefruit seed extract and mastitis?

hi there, i asked this in the newborn feeding section and didn't get any response so i thought i would ask it here. has anyone heard of or been recommended to try GSE for chronic breast infections? my story is i have a history (with my now older daughter) of mastitis at least once a month. my son is now 1 month old and i have already had this happen once. i have been on antibiotics for it and don't really want to continue to go through this. i have an over-abundant milk supply and OALD. DS likes to go for 5 hr stretches in the night without nursing. this has led to serious engorgement that doesn't abate until at least 2 in the afternoon. i also start feeling that familiar pain in the outter sides of my breasts. i was thinking that if i take a preventative dose of GSE on a semi-regular basis (i.e. whenever engorgement gets serious) that i could avoid an infection.

opinions really needed pls.

[ j ]

Default Re: grapefruit seed extract and mastitis?

I've never heard of taking GSE for mastitis ... only for thrush infections. Maybe somebody else could be of more help? The only information I could find linking mastitis with taking GSE is to take it if you are also on antibiotics for the mastitis, in order to prevent a thrush infection from occurring as well.

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

thanks for the reply paint-the-moon. generally, as far as i know, you would take a pro-biotic (helpful bacterial culture) to prevent thrush (yeast) as yeast occurs when there is a lack of healthy/helpful bacteria. i guess GSE would help along with some other medication as to help keep the bacterial balance maybe? i don't know enough about thrush... i think it's the ONE nursing issue we have never had to face.

GSE is a nutri-biotic (i.e. natural antibiotic). i found only limited info online but did find some where nursing women claimed it helped them with chronic breast infections.

pre-pregnancy, i was taking it to help me with chronic sinus infections so that i didn't have to resort to anti-biotics. this is what made me think it could be useful in this situation as well.

other natural remedies i have read about online include: ecchinacea, vitamine c, zinc, golden seal (only when baby is above 1 mo), garlic, grated raw potato applied directly over sore spot. anyone know if any of this is viable/helpful and safe?

[ j ]

I, unfotunately, know all about thrush! I took GSE to help with the infection, as I know many women do for thrush. I also took a good pro-biotic. Maybe someone with more experience with mastisis will post more info. The only info I've read about GSE for chronic breast infections is for the yeast variety.

This page has some great info on natural remedies for mastsis:

Mastitis: a non-antibiotic treatment

And you might find this page helpful, as it outlines ways to prevent recurrent infections, and includes dietary supplements and diet, homeopathic remedies, and acupuncture:
    Recurrent Mastitis or Plugged Ducts

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

thanks for those links, much appreciated. i had read the kellymoms page before, but the other one was new to me.

[ j ]