Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipple!

Default sore nipple!

Ok, Left Nipple has been very sore for about 2 days now. It looks normal. Why is this happening? And What do I do?

Baby has been successfully breastfeeding for 7 months now without any problems at all. Thanks-formerly known as vavaval7

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

Default Re: sore nipple!

When something sudden happens like this, there could be lots of little reasons.

Perhaps as baby has grown, both of you have gotten lazy about good positioning and latch, and with a little attention, you'd feel better.

An ear infection or teething can cause pain when baby lays on one side, so that her latch isn't as good.

A pulled arm, shoulder or chest muscle could affect how you hold baby, affecting her latch.

Did she bite you recently, and your nipple is recovering from that?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Agree with PP, teething almost always makes them latch in funny ways, my LO who is 19o is cutting his lower canines and guess what my nipples are sore! HTH

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

My DS is cutting his first two upper teeth right now and it's definitely causing some pain.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Yes! Actually she just got her 1st two teeth, and she did bite me on Left Nipple in the middle of the night. I was afraid of getting some terrible infection, but This totally makes sense. Thanks everyone.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!