Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

I like the Nuby as well (sippy) I give my 8 month old about 2 oz of water per day. Mostly to play with but he LOVES drinking from the cups if I hold it. I do water b/c I don't want to waste BM
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I like the Nuby as well (sippy) I give my 8 month old about 2 oz of water per day. Mostly to play with but he LOVES drinking from the cups if I hold it. I do water b/c I don't want to waste BM
    nuby it is! we'll see how he takes to it.
    i looked online and seems they sell it everywhere over the internet, but is there a store they sell it at too? i couldn't find it on the target website....and on the babies r us site they seemed to only have the version that had the handles on the bottom, which i guess makes it difficult to line up with the spout? ...and silly me....i'm the type who likes to pick the color.. and it seems if i order online i could end up with any color....so i'd rather pick it up at a store, or if anyone knows of where you can pick the color online? thnx!

Make sure that it is BPA-free

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

We intro. sippy at 6 mo. DD did not like it. We then went for a straw cup - she LOVES it. She loves to suck water from the straw. Of course she will do this with a reg. straw in our cup of water, too! A speech pathologist posted on here some time ago that said straw was better for baby.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I found this website that gave the list of the nuby sippy cups that are BPA-Free. We LOVE the two handled cup and the flip straw cup.

I am wondering how much water is ok. The past few days she has been SUCKING it down!! I only give her about 4 oz. Is that ok??

I found our cup at Target, but yes it was not online. They also sell them at Walmart.

http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/...ally-bpa-free/
    Last edited by @llli*ladybug6; June 15th, 2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Addition of Store info
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladybug6 View Post
    I found this website that gave the list of the nuby sippy cups that are BPA-Free. We LOVE the two handled cup and the flip straw cup.

I am wondering how much water is ok. The past few days she has been SUCKING it down!! I only give her about 4 oz. Is that ok??

I found our cup at Target, but yes it was not online. They also sell them at Walmart.

http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/...ally-bpa-free/
    yay! there's a walmart right by our house...we'll have to check it out and see if they have the nubys.

i'm not too sure how much water is ok...i think when starting out like with my little guy who will be 6 months old soon they say just an ounce or so is good, and even then often times baby is just getting used to the sippy cup and not really drinking much. in your case however, sounds like your lo is already a pro at the sippy cup and is gulpin' it down. you may want to post a new thread and ask...and i think it will depend on how old your lo is, so you'll want to note the age of your lo, too. hope you find your answer...

my lo used sippy cups at 6mo and at 7mos started using both straw cups & sippys- I put ice water in it- makes a good noise when she plays with it and feels good on teething gums. I think it helps her feel included at mealtime too since she doesn't eat much for solids. She is so proud that she can grab and hold her cups by herself.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

this morning I was still in the dark re starting solids and sippy cups etc and thanx to all the girls on here I feel a lot more informed and better - thanx so much!!!

just one silly question, what is BPA?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllshannon View Post
    Water isn't necessarily needed, your body will make what baby needs, adjusting to temperature, humidity, and baby's nursing patterns. I've found that most people start with water because it doesn't stain and is easy to clean up. Once baby masters how to use a cup, then they move on to other fluids.
    I was told by our pediatrician, that the reason they suggest offering water after 6 mos. is twofold, 1. because some babies need the water to aid in digestion once they start solids, and 2. because it helps them learn to use a cup, and water is a much healthier beverage for them than juice, which has tons of sugar, but w/o the other benefits of the whole fruit, like fiber. Our ped. is actually happier when folks choose not to give juice at all, or give it sparingly, because drinking water makes for a better lifelong habit nutritionally.

That makes alot of sense to me, bcse once George started solids, he also started having some problems with constipation, even though he was still drinking the same amount of breastmilk as b4. Extra fluids helped with that, and he was still nursing every 2 hours like he always had been, so he wasn't interested in more bm than he was already getting.