Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    242

    Default sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    i did not know this, but it sounds like at around 6 months you can start introducing a little water in a sippy cup or straw cup...is that correct?

    what are the advantages/disadvantages to using a sippy cup vs. a straw cup...or is it just baby preference? is it pretty common to introduce one or the other at 6 months? any recommendations of what kind?

    ...also, since we're on the topic...why the water at 6 months? is that when it is usually 1st introduced? and about how much of it should they be getting?

    ..my ds will be 6 months in a couple weeks. so want to know what's to come.
    tia!

  2. #2

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    The sippy cup vs straw vs open top cup debate seems to be part personal preference of the parents and part preference of the baby. There is no one perfect answer for you and your family. You can choose to try them all, or just one kind.

    Water isn't necessarily needed, your body will make what baby needs, adjusting to temperature, humidity, and baby's nursing patterns. I've found that most people start with water because it doesn't stain and is easy to clean up. Once baby masters how to use a cup, then they move on to other fluids.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

    Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

    I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllshannon View Post
    Water isn't necessarily needed, your body will make what baby needs, adjusting to temperature, humidity, and baby's nursing patterns. I've found that most people start with water because it doesn't stain and is easy to clean up. Once baby masters how to use a cup, then they move on to other fluids.
    aaaaah! see?? that totally makes sense! thnx for sharing.


    how about the 6 months age? is that around when to introduce a sippy/straw/open cup? or how do u know when they're ready?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    777

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby.mama View Post
    aaaaah! see?? that totally makes sense! thnx for sharing.


    how about the 6 months age? is that around when to introduce a sippy/straw/open cup? or how do u know when they're ready?
    Just intoduce one and watch your baby, its a bit hard for 6 months old baby to master the straw cup, they seem to get the hang of sippy cup much faster, so i suggest you start with a sippy cup. Dont be surprised if your LO refuses to take one or just takes it only to play with it and make a mess (just like my LO did). HTH
    Last edited by @llli*noora.z3; June 14th, 2008 at 04:50 PM.

    Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

    Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    .
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

    Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

    Do more than dream, work!."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not around here as much :(
    Posts
    12,132

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    We started to offer a sippy cup 'around' 6-7 mo. As the above posters said your babe will adjust in time, no matter what kind of cup you give... so i'ts mostly for practice now
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson


    Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

    We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

    I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    I offered dd water in a sippy (nuby brand both straw and non-straw) to play with in a very non-serious kinda way. she loves playing with these cups and sucking the water out and spitting it everywhere! she thinks it's the best.
    also, if you introduce solids, some people think it's good to offer a little water here and there to help prevent constipation (prolly not necessary imo). I just add a little bm to her pureed solids to help with the digestion.
    Margo
    12 mos (ap)
    married to my sweet hunny 10/01/04
    mama to my love bunny 10/17/07
    Because of her allergies, organic vegan, no soy, grains, corn, apples, pears, yeasts,flax, celery, tomatoes, garlic, onion, spices, citrus, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, honey ...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    gosh...it seems like just yesterday i was introducing the bottle and soon it's the sippy cup! time sure flies by!

    ok...so generally 6-7 months...i can get one just so lo can familiarize himself with it,...not necessarily to drink what's in it...and perhaps expect lo to spit it out. hee hee ....thus the reason for filling it with water... it's all coming together for me. thank you all!

    and sounds like nuby is a popular brand?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    just checked out nuby online....how are these? Nuby No-Spill Sippy Gripper Cup
    apparently they don't have a valve but are spill proof...liquid comes out by lo sucking action....anyone try this?

    or the Nuby 2 Handle Cup with Flip-It Straw?

    or the basic Nuby Two Handle Sippy Cup?
    Last edited by @llli*baby.mama; June 14th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby.mama View Post
    just checked out nuby online....how are these? Nuby No-Spill Sippy Gripper Cup
    apparently they don't have a valve but are spill proof...liquid comes out by lo sucking action....anyone try this?

    or the Nuby 2 Handle Cup with Flip-It Straw?

    or the basic Nuby Two Handle Sippy Cup?
    they are the only ones my little bf lo would go for ( she wont take bottles). they are soft and dont spill. the basic is kinda like a breast the way she has to latch and suck adn the straw is a little harder, but not much. I tried a whole bunch of others and they were too hard for her to get anything. these are pretty easy and not too bad to clean, esp the basic.
    Margo
    12 mos (ap)
    married to my sweet hunny 10/01/04
    mama to my love bunny 10/17/07
    Because of her allergies, organic vegan, no soy, grains, corn, apples, pears, yeasts,flax, celery, tomatoes, garlic, onion, spices, citrus, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, honey ...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: sippy cup vs. straw?...& water?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ellasmama.2007 View Post
    they are the only ones my little bf lo would go for ( she wont take bottles). they are soft and dont spill. the basic is kinda like a breast the way she has to latch and suck adn the straw is a little harder, but not much. I tried a whole bunch of others and they were too hard for her to get anything. these are pretty easy and not too bad to clean, esp the basic.
    perfect...thank you so much!...we'll see how he does!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •