Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice about breastfeeding infant with a toddler at home

Default Re: Advice about breastfeeding infant with a toddler at home

I witnessed a few of my friends and my sister when they were breastfeeding there newborn with there toddler and I will be doing the same after Feb.. My friends did baskets of toys a fun snack time for them.. My sister would do a sprecial program for nap time nursing.. I also had one of my friends when it was nice out just sit outside and let her toddler play in the back yard whiel she nursed.. I think atleast in my head it is going to feel overwhelming at first but once you get a rhythm down it will be a piece of cake....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Yeah, it will be interesting. I will have some help - dh is taking one week off - and mom coming for a few days here and there. I am most stressed about the first six weeks - not able to go as many places, carry my toddler, etc.
    I'm sure that we will get into a routine as the summer goes by.

I know how you feel... When I had my second I thought I would never ever be able to leave my house... but then I had to and things just got easier and take all the help you can get... My sister has three kids and offered to come up and help catch her kids came too!! I still said yes!!! It was nice just havign someone there to help even if it is to get you a glass of water....and all the fears are started up again man how am I going to do three now!!!! Yikes.... but I'm in denial right now....LOL
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

So glad someone asked this...I still have a fair amount of time before #2 is due, but if I don't start researching early I worry myself to death over things like this.

I'm very lucky in that I have several cousins who are just at the age where they're getting into babysitting (payback time for when I babysat them ), and of course they and their moms (I'm very close to my aunts) and my own parents live in the same neighbourhood as me. It's wonderful. I'm definitely gonna ask for more help next time than I did this time!!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Someone mentioned getting out of the house with 2 kids... When DD2 was born, I was terrified to leave the house with 2 lo's under 2! My husband and my mother both told me to just do it or I'd go crazy in the house... so at about 3 weeks post partum, I took both kids to a friend's house. It felt like I'd just won a race! Just to get both kids up, fed, dressed, in the car and to another location was amazing! I highly recommend doing this early! It's such a high! Since I went to a friend's house as soon as I got there, I had help and it felt so good to get out! Once you've done it once, it gets easier the second time and then the third!
    PP said they won't be able to go as many places... that's not exactly true... you can still go there, you just don't want to! I've found that I think a lot more about if I really, truly need something before heading out to the store with 2 kids! I also call my husband more at work to pick up things on the way home (something I swore I'd never do!!!) Getting 2 kids out of the car just to pick up dry cleaning just isn't worth it! If I have more than a 2 stores to go to, I wait until dh can watch the kids and go alone! And I haven't been into a convenience store since dd2 was born... convenient, yeah right!
    Sorry... totally went off on a rant there at the end! Good Luck!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

Hmmm...all very interesting. I think I tend to be a home body in some ways - feels easier just to stay home - but then I get stir crazy, so we'll see how much I want to go out w/ two. I hope my toddler won't get too bored. He LOVES to be outside. Mother's helpers are a great idea - even a trip to the park a couple times a week with a Mother's helper seems very do able. I hate asking for help, though, this is a weakness...so I'll need to work on that!