Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about breastfeeding infant with a toddler at home

Default Advice about breastfeeding infant with a toddler at home

I am due to have a new baby in about a week and have an 18 mo. old who is not breast feeding. Does anyone have advice about breast feeding a newborn while raising a toddler? I am especially interested in the breast feeding difficulties, how to manage my toddler, and how much help I might need.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Advice about breastfeeding infant with a toddler at home

I'm sure some moms will have some great advice for you, but I'd like to point you to the babywearing board if you don't already have something you can nurse in hands free.
    2 hands are important with a toddler!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Colouring books just for breastfeeding time, or a special toy for feeding time. My biggest issue with my oldest was she was very jealous of her brother breastfeeding, even though she had weaned herself long before. To slove this problem I allowed her to feed once after her brother was done, she was so shocked she never bugged, or actted jealous again.
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

I don't have any advice, but I'll be checking to see what others say!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

An activity for your toddler is a great idea. Maybe even a snack for the older child. You'll find your groove.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Make up a basket of toys that your toddler only gets to play with during nursing times. Some things that I found helpful were picture books (that way you don't have to try to read text but can talk about the pictures), coloring books (you can get the color wonder kind so you don't have to worry about coloring on the walls), and soft balls ( I got some of the small splash balls made for the pool. They were small enough for me to catch one handed and very soft.). I also had a bubble machine so we could sit outside and my DS1 could play in the bubbles w/o much effort on my part. Also put some healthy snacks and a drink either in the basket or in a special place in the refrigerator. My toddler always wanted something to eat when I got the baby nursing well.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

A sling was a lifesaver for us in those early months. And I'll admit DD watched a few more videos than she other wise would have. She was 2 1/2 DS nursed so frequently she busted through the stack of coloring/activity books I'd bought in just a couple of days! All in all, though, it wasn't as hard as I expected it too be.
    Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My DD1, Katie was 19 months when DD2, Allie was born. I thought it would be harder than it was, but Katie did watch quite a few Barneys (On Demand!) while I was feeding the baby! I don't recommend crayons for a toddler that young... we have a beautiful mural on our wall to show that she wasn't quite old enough (I was in the room, but was so distracted getting Allie latched right, that I never noticed that Katie was scribbling all over the wall!!!) I tried the color wonder markers, but Katie couldn't open them without help so every few seconds she was asking for help.
    What worked for us was a special basket of toys for during eating times. Katie has learned the word "Patience" and what it means. If she waits patiently for Allie to finish eating, she gets to do something special with Mommy. But the best solution we've had so far is stickers! Katie loves stickers... she even spent an afternoon decorating her sister in stickers!
    Good Luck! The more you worry about it the harder it is... you'll find what works for you!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the good advice so far. I love all the ideas, especially the bubbles outside!
    Thank-you!

relax your standards to...

Get help.
    when somebody askes if you need something take them up on it.
    have them bring a meal in or take your older one out for a few hours so you can nap with the baby.

Do you have help?
    Even a young teen ager to come in a few days a week after school to be a mothers helper, play with your older one when you catch a shower.
    If you don't leave you don't have to pay much!