Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forced to wean from BM

Default Forced to wean from BM

I currently pump and bottle feed my 8.5 month old son due to not getting him to every properly latch.

Well I am having to stop giving him breast milk and to start giving him just formula due to my health issues and needing to get on medication that just is not safe to take while breastfeeding.

Anywas what is the best way to stop? I am going in today to talk with my OB/GYN about other birth control options and to talk about the pill/shot that stops my milk from coming in.

Is it best to get this pill/shot or to slowly just reduce my pumping sessions and let my body naturally stop producing BM?

Any an all suggestions are much appreciated!
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

Default Re: Forced to wean from BM

have you talked to your local leader?
    Many meds are safe to take when breastfeeding.

heres a small link that might help:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/medical.html

how many times in 24 hours are you pumping?
    heres a link with more info

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...from-pump.html

Many medications are considered compatible with breastfeeding. Many medications aren't. With some research, you may find that your medication is usually considered compatible with breastfeeding, and can talk it over with your doctor.

If you do decide that full or partial weaning is for you, please try not to stop cold-turkey. Sudden weaning often leads to plugged ducts, mastitis, and other issues. A slow, gentle weaning is often easier on everyone involved. If you won't be nursing, continue pumping to comfort, allowing your milk supply to slowly decrease. You can space out your pumping sessions a little bit at a time, slowly eliminating pumping sessions entirely. You could also try turning off the pump before your breasts are completely empty. This tells your body that it doesn't need all the milk it's making, and will eventually reduce your supply. If you find that you are uncomfortably engorged, consider pumping just enough so that you're comfortable.

Starting hormonal birth control often lowers a mother's milk supply, too, if that's something you and your doctor are interested in.

Many mothers find that they can express a few drops of milk for several months after weaning, especially when hearing a baby cry, or a sound that's similar to the pump sounds, or even during intimacy. It's perfectly normal, and your body will eventually stop making milk.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Well unfortunately the medication I am needing to take is not okay to take while breastfeeding. I am needing to take Enbrel, Methotrexate, and Celebrex and I know that Methotrexate is def. not safe to take while breastfeeding and no other medications work for me. I have tried many different medications without any luck.

I will def. take it slow instead of quitting cold turkey.

Thanks for the info!
    Amanda

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.

Just take it slow, a little bit at a time, and listen to your body. If you start to get painfully engorged, express to comfort. Recovering from mastitis is never fun!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I'm sorry
    Sometimes we have to ask a few ? before we get to know whats going on.
    Theres lots of good info about weaning on the web site.
    Is baby nursing any at the breast or are you just pumping?

I too am in the same boat as you! I have Sjogrens Syndrome and I take Methotrexate (MTX) to control my immune system. My DS is 7 months old and this week is our last nursing session very said about it but at least we made it to 7 months.

to you for making it to 8.5!!!

I dropped one session every 7 days and it was the best thing I could every do. In ways of my DS missing mommy juice and for me so my breast did not get engoraged and infected. LUCKLY for me I was able to do it in that manner. I took me 3 formulas and lots and lots of heart ache. My DS likes the Born Free bottles the best as they have a nipple like mommys and his lips touch the nipple not the plastic on ring that connects the nipple and bottle.

Good Luck and keep you head up!

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

I am an exclusive pumper. I never did get him to latch properly something I am going to work really hard on with baby #2 whenever we decide to have another. I was just very ill informed about breast feeding before my son came and so I did not really understand how to latch him etc. But hey pumping hasn't been that bad I just want baby #2 at the breast since I am a SAHM it will make things much easier especially when I will have a toddler running around by that time.
    Amanda

jaksters.mommy - Yes is sucks, I really wish I could continue but I am proud of myself for making it this far. I know so many moms who give up BFing withing the first weeks of their babies lives because its to "hard" so I am proud of myself And I am not quitting because I want to but only because I have no other choice.

Good for you for making it to 7 months!
    Amanda

check out that weaning from the pump link that should help...
    drop a pumping session every few days.
    You can do it!