Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only veggies now - how long for fruit?

Default Only veggies now - how long for fruit?

My ds is 7 1/2 months and is a big eater of bm and solids. We want to introduce as many veggies as possible before fruits, but how long should we wait? Everyone tells me once they started giving fruit, their little ones stopped w/ the veggies.

Oh, he eats organic, nothing from a jar, just the earth!

Default Re: Only veggies now - how long for fruit?

Some people say to start with veggies since they are less sweet than fruits. The logic here is that if you give fruits first, your baby may not like the bland taste of veggies. I've read that is a myth and there is no scientific data to back this claim up. But since breast milk is very sweet, it wouldn't seem to make a difference which you start first ... they've been eating sweet milk for many months already! We plan to alternate between fruits and veggies when we start our 7.5 month old on solids this month. I do know that vegetables are more constipating for our babies than fruits.

Dr. William Sears says:

"I've heard that it's better to start vegetables before fruits. Is this true?

Purists recommend that vegetables be introduced before fruits so that infants don't learn to expect that food should always taste sweet. This is one of those nutritional directives that sound great in theory, but many of us who have fed lots of babies have found it hard to put into practice. First of all, babies are born with a sweet tooth. Their tiny tongues are more richly supplied with sweet tastebuds than with any others. This makes sense, because human milk is sweet, and breastfed babies are less likely to willingly accept the bland taste of vegetables than formula-fed babies. While there is no doubt that vegetables are nutritionally superior to fruits, most parents find that babies will happily eat fruits, making them hassle-free first foods. The nutritional content of starter foods is of secondary importance; the main goal of these early solid food feedings is for the baby to learn how to swallow foods of different textures. You're likely to have more success with fruits than with vegetables. When introducing veggies, try the sweet ones first: carrots and sweet potatoes. If you have a baby who loves vegetables, good for you! Don't worry if your baby attacks veggies with less enthusiasm than fruit. He'll eventually learn to like them if you keep offering them."
    Another source says:

"Myth: Giving your baby a fruit as a "first" solid will cause baby to reject and dislike veggies.

Truth: The order of food introduction really doesn't matter. Some say the veggies first so a "sweet tooth" doesn't develop for fruits. If your baby is breast fed, she is already receiving the sweetest food there is! Others say fruits first so that baby will enjoy her first foods and not be as likely to reject solids. Still others say yellow first then green while some say green before yellow so baby doesn't reject the yellow.......

There is no hard scientific evidence to prove any of the above; you find many babies LOVE their green veggies and HATE their fruits and vice versa. We personally introduced foods in an order something like sweet potato then bananas then peaches then another veggie then another fruit!
    " (Wholesome Baby Food
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; July 29th, 2006 at 10:49 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I read that we should wait to give veggies until 7 months and fruit was ok at 6? Is this because it is harder to digest veggies over fruit? Does anyone know why this is? I have given my almost 6 mo old brown rice cereal a handful of times and she seems to really like it but I don't know how to proceed from here with solids? Should I even be giving her solids yet? I don't want to take it away now that she seems to enjoy it. Is the most important thing that we give primarily bm for the first year and make sure solids are just supplementary? Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eabbett
    I read that we should wait to give veggies until 7 months and fruit was ok at 6? Is this because it is harder to digest veggies over fruit? Does anyone know why this is? I have given my almost 6 mo old brown rice cereal a handful of times and she seems to really like it but I don't know how to proceed from here with solids? Should I even be giving her solids yet? I don't want to take it away now that she seems to enjoy it. Is the most important thing that we give primarily bm for the first year and make sure solids are just supplementary? Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks
    I have never heard of waiting until 7 mo for veggies... I would say if a baby is ready for solids, she's ready for friuts and veggies. It sounds like you are doing just fine, and you are very right about breastmilk and solids during the first year. Just keep following your baby's cues, and you'll be fine!

I worried about the same thing with DD, that after we offered fruits, she wouldn't want the veggies anymore. Well, we've discovered that she actually prefers the veggies and only liked pears and prunes. I think the rest is too tart for her. But, we're using jarred foods most of the time, if I were preparing it from the actual fruit, it might not be as tart.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

I gave up trying to follow some schedule written by someone else. I give her what i am eating - and i eat more fruit. She still eats veggies - so I wouldn't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    I gave up trying to follow some schedule written by someone else.
    I agree ... I think a lot of times we worry too much about following the "rules" instead of just following our babies. I want to make starting solids a fun experience for not only my baby, but for me and DH too ... so we're not stressing over it too much. We are giving her healthy, organic whole foods ... and beyond that we'll just learn as we go.

Our DD "tried" her second food - gourmet avocado & breast milk hash - and after 20 minutes only once got a little on her tongue, quite by accident. Dog toys, paper, even the actual dog all go straight to her mouth at first sight, but when we (finally, as my MIL says) give her FOOD it never makes it there. She did have LOTS of fun playing with it and making a huge mess though (good thing avocado oil is good for your skin too)!

I just had to add this link ... it's really cute and funny ... keep in mind it was written in the 50's though.
    On Starting Solids

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Love the link and the quotes at the bottom, just saw your quote on the bottom of your sig, too. How clever...
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...