Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He stops after drinking one ounce...

Default He stops after drinking one ounce...

I have been reading and researching everywhere on the best way to switch my baby from breastfeeding to bottle feeding since I have to go back to work... He takes the bottle nicely but after one ounce he starts fussing and pushing and turns red and sucks as if he was not getting any milk from the nipple. I must add that at this point he is so frustrated that he cries and tears even come out of his little eyes. I am using Born Free level 1 nipples and I have even tried level 2 but the same thing happens. As everyone else I feel terribly sad to do this to him, this is day 7 and nothing changes, he does the same thing when dad or grandma feeds him. Sometimes I observe his sucking carefully and it seems as if he is covering the nipple hole with his mouth can this be possible? I know he gets milk because the milk goes down exactly one ounce every time and then it stops. Now, to make things worst I feel that he has lost interest in breastfeeding, he sucks for a little bit and then he stops. Ah! I started introducing two bottles a day one in the morning before his 7 am. nap and one after his noon nap in between I have continued to nurse. Someone please give me a little insight as I am sad that I can't accomplish this easily I go back to work july
    Last edited by juanca's mommy; May 28th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: He stops after drinking one once...

my 1st thought baby has to burp...
    They take in more air with bottles.

you guys will get the hang of things.

Default Re: He stops after drinking one ounce...

Thank you for your response, but I have tried that also and he does the same thing.

It sounds interesting to feed him with a cup, now he is two months can I try with a cup or is he too young?

FWTW my lo does this if she is not really hungry when I offer her the bottle. If I try again in 20-30 minutes later, usually she will take the whole bottle (about 3-4 more oz). She is a funny one in that she wont eat unless she is hungry and the tides can change in a matter of a few minutes.
    I read somewhere (i cant recall where right now) that if they only are drinking one ounce that they arent truly hungry and are just sucking to suck.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year