Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler meals

Default Toddler meals

Help me out ladies. DD goes through spurts of refusing all meats, and eating only fruits, then just fruits and veggies, then just beans and fruit, then nothing but fruit. I know, not bad since she's a "fruit-a-holic", but I just find myself staring at the shelves and fridge trying to figure out what to try with her.

DH and I eat pretty healthy, but DD usually won't eat chicken. No pasta (texture issue), not really anything that is mushy, except for beans. The only thing I know for sure she'll always eat is mexican food, quesadillas and rice she'll eat until she is stuffed. She can't live on that alone.

She's growing well, over an inch in three weeks last month and I can tell she's gained some weight, but I think she's bored with our meals.

I know there are ideas out there. My dazed mind is at a loss. Thank you for your help. Hopefully DS will let me get some good sleep soon - he's a little piglet right now!
    Last edited by Sherri H.; May 28th, 2008 at 02:58 PM.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Toddler meals

Check out the Feeding Your Family forum on these boards. We all list what meals we do for breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner! You might get some new ideas.

Would she notice if you put shredded chicken in her quesadilla? I don't think not eating meat is that big of a deal as long as she is meeting her protein needs with other sources like beans or eggs. Beans and brown rice is a great meal!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks, I didn't even think of looking there. Silly me.

And yes, if I put shredded chicken in it she'll pick it out. Thankfully she'll eat some spiced ground beef or turkey if I put it in there. She won't even try an egg. Thought she'd taste a hard boiled one the other morning, but she would get it close, then put it down.

I guess I shouldn't worry about the beans and rice too much.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I would say keep offering. I've read that it can take up to 21 time of offering a food for them to accept it. Plus they go through phases. My son loved beans, then hated them, now loves them again. Same with eggs.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I would say keep offering. I've read that it can take up to 21 time of offering a food for them to accept it. Plus they go through phases. My son loved beans, then hated them, now loves them again. Same with eggs.
    I would agree. Here's a little bit from DR Sears website about toddlers and eating

Also - if it doesnt say on that link... you want to look at what they're eating on a broad (week long or so) spectrum as opposed to just a day here and a day there. None of us really get what we need in one 24 hours period - so you might be surprised what she is taking in... (especailly is she's still nursing )
    Last edited by Number3; May 28th, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.