Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bf vs. bottle amount

Default bf vs. bottle amount

once in a while i feed my lo a bottle of ebm to get used to it for when i return to work and he usually only takes about 2oz! is that really all he eats per feeding or does he probably eat more when bf? weight is definitely not a concern. weighs 18+ lbs at 5 months old, but just wondering what the deal is with the small amt he's eating with the bottle...or if he's always eating only 2 oz. per feed is that why he still feeds ~9x's a day? (<---doesn't it usually go down by 5 months?)

Smile Re: bf vs. bottle amount

Hiya,

I asked one of the breastfeeding midwives this question the other week.

If the baby gets 2oz from the bottle, they will tend to get 3 or more from you when you feed them. Aparently they are more efficient at getting the milk than a pump.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: bf vs. bottle amount

Quote Originally Posted by clairemcmanus126 View Post
    If the baby gets 2oz from the bottle, they will tend to get 3 or more from you when you feed them. Aparently they are more efficient at getting the milk than a pump.
    I think that refers to the amount you can pump at one session. You never pump as much during one session as your lo could get out.

As for drinking only 2 oz - that could be for a number of reasons. He might be taking more at different times of the day. I noticed that my lo takes more in the morning than in the afternoon, and his largest feeding is in the evening whereas his middle of the night feedings are just "top ups"

And because the bottles are just here and there, he may not be filling up on them simply because he's not use to them. Mommy is still there, so he knows that if he's hungry in an hour he can have it straight from the source! Also, some babies wont take breastmilk from a bottle if that bottle is given to them by mama - test it out with someone else and see if he takes more

oh ... and did you have more than 2 oz in the bottle? Because if he stopped at 2 oz and refused to drink more (and went the same length as he normally does before his next feeding), I would take that to mean he had enough. If his weight is good and he has lots of wet/poopie diapers, I wouldn't worry about it. When he starts having bottles all day, he may take more. The important thing is to make sure he will take the bottle when you're not there.

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: bf vs. bottle amount

Quote Originally Posted by sch.mommy View Post
    I think that refers to the amount you can pump at one session. You never pump as much during one session as your lo could get out.

As for drinking only 2 oz - that could be for a number of reasons. He might be taking more at different times of the day. I noticed that my lo takes more in the morning than in the afternoon, and his largest feeding is in the evening whereas his middle of the night feedings are just "top ups"

And because the bottles are just here and there, he may not be filling up on them simply because he's not use to them. Mommy is still there, so he knows that if he's hungry in an hour he can have it straight from the source! Also, some babies wont take breastmilk from a bottle if that bottle is given to them by mama - test it out with someone else and see if he takes more

oh ... and did you have more than 2 oz in the bottle? Because if he stopped at 2 oz and refused to drink more (and went the same length as he normally does before his next feeding), I would take that to mean he had enough. If his weight is good and he has lots of wet/poopie diapers, I wouldn't worry about it. When he starts having bottles all day, he may take more. The important thing is to make sure he will take the bottle when you're not there.

he actually takes the bottle pretty well from me and took his first bottle from me as well and not from dh or grandma. which was surprising since i had heard that usually the opposite happens....but yes, my concern in the long run is that he's more comfortable with and prefers to get it from "the main source" which later will not be the case once he starts daycare full time. so i'm just worried that he won't eat much there. but then again, i've heard miracles can sometimes happen at daycares being in a new environment different people/methods. i guess there's no sense in worrying now, right? it's just my personality though...always trying to plan way in advance...i overwhelm myself, which can turn me into a nervous wreck sometimes.

thanks for the and words of advice.