Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is is possible to have too much milk too fast and cause baby to fuss and cry?

Default Is is possible to have too much milk too fast and cause baby to fuss and cry?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...s/confused.gif

During at least 2 feedings each day my son will cry and fuss terribly. He is also very "burpy". I mean he can seriously hold his own against any grown man! I have resorted to giving him breast milk in a bottle several times because I am afraid he isn't getting enough during these traumatic feedings. I am so afraid that he is going to want to stop breast feeding altogether! I have talked to his Dr. about the bruping and they gave me a RX for some drops that can help with that. She thought that maybe I produce a lot of milk and have a strong let down that my son can't quite handle (too much too quickly). Any thoughts?

Default Re: Is is possible to have too much milk too fast and cause baby to fuss and cry?

i also have this problem. it sounds like oversupply and/or overactive letdown. when ds is pulling off and fussing, do you notice you are spraying all over? when you feel your milk begin to let down you may want to try taking him off and spraying into a diaper or towel then return him when the spraying slows. our ped explained to a little baby this overactive spray is like a firehose to the back of their throats and they gulp and choke trying to keep up. she said that as they get bigger they adapt but it causes them to take in more air & therefore burps, gassiness and spitting up may occur more frequently. see if that helps you and also block feeding may help you correct the problem if it is an oversupply issue. HTH. good luck.

Default Re: Is is possible to have too much milk too fast and cause baby to fuss and cry?

No, I don't spray, so that is why I am puzzled by this. I have never been a sprayer or leaker (this is my third baby). Today he was a bit better, just a little fussy at his last feeding this evening, but not bad. What is block feeding exactly? Also, I am new to this forum thing - so what does ds stand for?
    Thanks!
    Dina(Caleb's mommy)

ds stands for dear son. Since you don't spray, maybe it is something you are eating. With dd, if I eat a lot of garlic-she gets fussy, Caffeine makes her fidgety

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmom
    No, I don't spray, so that is why I am puzzled by this. I have never been a sprayer or leaker (this is my third baby). Today he was a bit better, just a little fussy at his last feeding this evening, but not bad. What is block feeding exactly? Also, I am new to this forum thing - so what does ds stand for?
    Thanks!
    Dina(Caleb's mommy)
    DS stands for Dear Son ... there is a full list of abbreviations here:

What does this mean?: Board lingo and abbreviations

From my personal experience with oversupply/OALD (as much as I can tell from what you've posted here - and remember I'm just another mom, not an expert) I don't believe this is what you are struggling with.

If you still think you might be experiencing oversupply/OALD, take a look at these links to compare your symptoms:

Am I Making Too Much Milk?
    http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/...ersupply.shtml
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...e/gulping.html

Here is a very comprehensive list of different reasons a baby may be fussing at the breast to help you determine what is going on:

My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

I would also caution against using too many bottles with a baby who is already showing troubles with breastfeeding. Take a look at LLL's page below to make sure your baby is eating enough:

How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

It would be a wonderful idea to have your local LLL leader evaluate your situation. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free.

Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

You can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

Good luck and keep us posted . You are doing a wonderful job and are to be commended for struggling through these problems in order to give your baby the priceless gift of breastfeeding.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you for all the information and encouraging words!

He is doing so much better the past few days. I have not been giving bottles and that seems to help, because I was so afraid of him preferring these! What really seems to help him right now is that when I notice that he is starting to fuss I take him off, try to burp him (which he almost always does right away upon sitting up) and then I just talk him through it - using a calm, gentle voice - telling him to slow down and take his time. I know that may sound very strange to some of you - but it really is working! I also have pray over him at night.

Thank you all so much and God Bless,
    Dina
    Mommy to Isabella, Sam and Caleb

Unhappy Re: Is is possible to have too much milk too fast and cause baby to fuss and cry?

I am having a similar situation. They feed for 20-30 minutes. Change diaper and crying and then rooting again. Put them back to breast and just continue to throw up or do nothing. But take a pacifier immediately. My daughter seems to choke and fuss more. I don't spray either... just drip fast. I am not sure what I am supposed to do especially if when they continue to feed they just continue to throw up. Thoughts?