Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling alseep on the breast

Default Falling alseep on the breast

Hi,

I'm new to this site and wanted some advice please.

My son is 13 weeks old and I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing, he seems to fall asleep on me and will only fall alseep when feeding, unless we're out and about walking.

If I take him off before he's finished he's cranky and cries, I try to keep him awake by tickling his back and neck, he stirs and then feeds, then falls asleep. I suppose I'm just worried that I'm heading for a fall at some point.

I just feel like I'm doing everything wrong at the moment.

Any advice please?????

Default Re: Falling alseep on the breast

I have started to look at this from a baby's perspective. You are cozy and safe, you have just had a warm meal and your tummy is full, and you can hear a loved one's heart beat through their nice warm chest. Wouldn't you fall asleep, too? I know I would.

I know there are those out there who say you are doing things "wrong" if your baby nurses to sleep, but there aren't any studies (at least that I know of) to actually back this up with data of it causing sleep disorders later in life. I know it's hard in the early weeks to trust your instincts and not listen to those who think they know what's best, but if it's working for you, go for it. If you can slip in other ways of going to sleep from time to time (like you mention walking) that certainly doesn't hurt anything, but you have lots of time in the future to gently help your child learn to fall asleep without nursing and you'll know when that time is right for your child.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Don't all breastfed babies fall asleep at the boob? (I am holding a sleeping 16 month old right now who is on the boob.) I definately don't see anything "wrong" with it at all.
    Are you worried that the baby will need to nurse to fall asleep and you would like him to learn to self sooth and fall asleep on his own?

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    I
    I know there are those out there who say you are doing things "wrong" if your baby nurses to sleep, but there aren't any studies (at least that I know of) to actually back this up with data of it causing sleep disorders later in life. I know it's hard in the early weeks to trust your instincts and not listen to those who think they know what's best, but if it's working for you, go for it. If you can slip in other ways of going to sleep from time to time (like you mention walking) that certainly doesn't hurt anything, but you have lots of time in the future to gently help your child learn to fall asleep without nursing and you'll know when that time is right for your child.
    What she said!

You're not doing anything wrong, mama!! Sounds like everything is just fine to me.

I think it is the most natural thing in the world for a baby to fall asleep nursing and I've never really understood why people seem to think it's wrong. As far as I'm concerned it's god's gift to a breastfeeding mother to have such an easy, handy, convenient way to calm, soothe, and put our babies to sleep.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Smile Re: Falling alseep on the breast

Thanks soooooo much, you two.

I've been really getting myself into a right ole tiz!

When you listen to other mums and read things you start to doubt yourself. James is thriving, putting onm weight and very happy, he tends to whimper when he's ready for a feed or cry when he's got a bit of wind, so listening to you makes me feel a whole lot better.

I suppose I just want James to be able to settle himself off to sleep rather than depending on me to help him to do it, but if he's happy then I should just go with the flow really shouldn't I.

Like you said, theres plenty of time to get him used go sleeping bt himself when he's older and in his own room.

Thank you so much, you have both really set my mind at ease.

love
    Claire

I think most mamas have the same kinds of worries. The key for me has been accepting the idea that if something is working for me and my family, then it's OK. No matter what other mommas are saying. For me, that meant nursing to sleep, cosleeping (something I said I'd never do!), breastfeeding past 12 months, and many other things. Trust yourself and your mommy instincts! You know your baby best.

That is SUCH a cute picture by the way!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with the pp's - trust your mommy instincts! If he's content/happy I wouldn't worry about it You're doing a great job mama!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My DS is just teetering on the 6.5 month mark and ALWAYS falls alseep when feeding. When he's ready for bed at the end of the night he falls asleep after eating stays asleep while burping and stays asleep when I put him down. I do worry that when he's weaned (we are working on that now) he wont be so easy to put to sleep but I'll worry about that when the time comes. Right now he's happy

Good luck to ya and your doing great!

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Okay, so normally I would agree with what has been said--if you and your baby both are fine with how you're doing things, there's no need to change--it's certainly not "wrong."

However, I'm on the "other side" of this problem. My DS is 8.5 months, and still nurses to fall asleep. Lately it's been causing problems because he wakes up like 3 or 4 times a night, leaving me a cranky, tired mom (with two older kids, so it's really hard to nap when he naps). If he could soothe himself to sleep, I think he would sleep better at night. I would have no problem with nursing to sleep if he would sleep through the night. Now I'm pretty much at wit's end. (Last night he went to bed at 10, and woke up for the fourth time at 12:30, and that wasn't the last time he woke up, either.) Cosleeping is not an option, so I have to get up and nurse him. Lately I have been falling asleep on the couch and waking up like an hour later, all sore from sleeping sitting up. Not pretty. I did try to get him to fall asleep on his own, and he was doing pretty well around 5 months, but one thing led to another, and I went back to nursing him to slepe every time. So here we are.

But like I said, if sleeping through the night isn't a problem for you, don't let my comments bother you.

So anyway, since I'm in your same boat I don't really have any advice on what to do about it. But you might want to start doing things to allow your child to fall asleep on his own. If there is a way to get babies to sleep without nursing them down (this late in the game), I'd love to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*threefunboys View Post
    If there is a way to get babies to sleep without nursing them down (this late in the game), I'd love to hear it!
    Have you tried using a paci at night? This worked with my ds1.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet