Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: % of Working Moms who BF 1 year?

Default % of Working Moms who BF 1 year?

Does anyone know the percentage of mothers who work full time outside the home who breastfeed for at least one year?

Default Re: % of Working Moms who BF 1 year?

I sure don't, but it would be interesting to know!

I've never seen a study about this specifically. in 2003, the percentage of all mothers breastfeeding at baby's first birthday was about 17%. No idea how many of those were working at the time. http://www.kellymom.com/writings/bf-numbers.html#cdc
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I don't know, but I did it!!

I don't know either, but I've been back to work nearly a year (not full time that whole time); DS is 14.5 months old and we're still BF....
    Jsmom

not sure, but I'm in the "club" too. My coworker's DS is one month behind DD and we have done it together (DD will be one next week!). But my anecdotal experience with other friends is that it's rare.

I did it with my daughter (well, pumped the last two months because she refused the breast) and am doing it with my son....between kids I changed jobs, and while at my previous position no one questioned my nursing - at my current position many people are amazed at my "dedication". Of my firneds, only one other has nursed for about a year.....so my guess is that the percentage of working moms nursing for a year is pretty low over all....

almost there. July 24 is circled on my calendar! but i can say this has been the toughest year of my life. working full time w/ an hour commute each way, pumping to provide only breast milk, i am exhausted most of the time. looking forward to losing the pump but will continue to bf until dd says "all done".

Of the women I know, I am the longest BF. Starting to get the "you'll be weaning soon?" questions.

Way to go, Maya's Mom. You're almost to your goal!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Maya'smom - I empathize! DS is nearly 16 months now and I've been back to work for a full year and am still pumping.... just this week I transitioned down to only 1x per day while at work.... it's alot of brain space, isn't it? My commute is also about an hour each way and the job is not an easy one... hang in there; you are reaching such an amazing milestone!
    Congrats and cheers to you for giving your LO such a great start in the world!!
    -linda