Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only BF before sleep and crazy head whipping

Default Only BF before sleep and crazy head whipping

I have two questions. First, my dd is SOOOOO distracted ever since 4 months old and it isn't getting any better now that she is 6 months old. (My first went through this too, but it only lasted about a month.) The only time I can get her to bf is before a nap ans swaddled tight and about 3 or 4 times in the night as well. My worry is that when she goes from three down to two naps that she won't get the nutrition she needs, or she'll just wake up even more at night to make up for it! Any body else been through this? Do you think she'll start being willing to nurse at other times during the day than just when she's falling asleep?

Second question. About two days ago she started doing this crazy head whipping thing. She'll latch on for about 2 seconds and then wildly start thrasing her head around (like she's nodding "no") across my nipple. Then she'll latch on again for about 2 seconds and rip off and do it again. I've tried to wait it out and see if she'll calm down and start eating, but she doesn't. One time I had to put her down and wait until she started to cry before she'd latch like normal. I thought maybe it was a symptom of being overtired, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also thought maybe she was getting frustrated because I wasn't letting down, but one of the times she yanked off I was totally spraying her. Any ideas of why a baby does this and is there any solution?

This is getting hard to deal with because we haven't had the easiest nursing relationship from the get go. Don't worry, I'm not giving up. I'm determined to make it to at least a year and a half even if I end up ripping my hair out in frustration!

Default Re: Only BF before sleep and crazy head whipping

Sorry if I'm not much help but could it be that you have an overactive let down? Maybe she frustrated because of it.

Here are some links that might help you determine:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p71.html

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p69.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb07p26.html

HTH
    Nikki

Wife to my best friend and mommy to our sweet little man born 4/07!

Still 'ing and loving life! We cloth!

not sure about the head turning thing, but my ds was distracted alot longer as well. I was worried about the same thing (he reverse cycled for a long time)He did eventually pick up more nursing sessions during the day though. Hopefully your LO will too!
    Have you tried a nursing necklace? If you go to the for sale section, there is a mama on here who makes them. It gives them something to play with while nursing, so other things won't distract them.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

My 6mo ds kicks, hits, scratches and pinches me while he's Bf-ing. He'll do this all day unless he's really really sleepy which does happen some times now that he's crawling all over and pulling up on things. Sometimes I'll put him down for a few more minutes just to get the wiggles out then try to latch him on again. But it doesn't always work.

I feel for you! Hang in there because it's sure worth it!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

You are definitely not alone. My LO and I have not had the best BFing relationship either an its really frustrating b/c she is my first so I feel like I have nothing to go on. I have delt with OS and OALD for the duration thus far. I actually just started my period at 11 weeks pp! And my supply seems to have decreased. But my let down is still very very overactive. My LO does a lot of pulling and tugging at the breast and does the similar head movement as your LO, but she is very fussy at the same time. I am still having a hard time figuring it out...is she overly tired, frustrated with the letdown, furstrated when the letdown is over, unable to get enough milk b/c of her shallow latch (she has become accustomed to b/c of the OALD). But honestly she does the exact same behavior, taking 2 sucks inbetween. I actually discussed this with my Local LLL tonight over the phone and she told me that it could be early teething! My LO is only 3 months tomorrow, but she said they can teeth a month or two before they even get a tooth. Let me know what you think! HTH.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Hi, okay I hope someone helps me on this, I am a new mom and new member as of today. My son will be 8 weeks Wednesday and has started the whole latch on latch off thing, I feel that when he does this I have no milk and that is why he does it, I cry everyday in fear of I am drying up or he isn't getting enough. He'll latch on for 2 mins pull off latch on pull off screaming. I will finally switch the other side or give him a minute to calm down and try again. I am afraid he isn't drainingg me enough to take a full feeding and I will dry up or my supply will not increase because he only nurses fitfully for like 7 mins. We were doing so well now I feel it's all going down hill. I don't want to stop.....but I feel all I do is worry, worry, worry. Please help ANybody!!!!!!!!Thanks

In response to cyrus.mommy (but OP may actually find it helpful, too), it sounds to me like your babe may need to tinkle. Babies are stimulated by nursing to eliminate, and many don't like to do both at the same time. They are hungry, but can't focus to eat because their bladder or bowel is full. Next time the latching/unlatching happens, you can try taking off your son's diaper (hold it nearby, though, to catch a tinkle, or hold him over something he can tinkle on/in), letting him go, then nursing more when he's finished. I bet he'll be much happier to finish eating then.

Here's some good information about elimination communication and nursing. http://www.tribalbaby.org/Breastfeed...ee%20baby.html

I really hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    In response to cyrus.mommy (but OP may actually find it helpful, too), it sounds to me like your babe may need to tinkle. Babies are stimulated by nursing to eliminate, and many don't like to do both at the same time. They are hungry, but can't focus to eat because their bladder or bowel is full. Next time the latching/unlatching happens, you can try taking off your son's diaper (hold it nearby, though, to catch a tinkle, or hold him over something he can tinkle on/in), letting him go, then nursing more when he's finished. I bet he'll be much happier to finish eating then.

Here's some good information about elimination communication and nursing. http://www.tribalbaby.org/Breastfeed...ee%20baby.html

I really hope that helps!
    Wow. I've never heard of that before. I've always heard and been told that latching and unlatching could be from OALD. I mean, don't babies just go when they feel like it? I've never had K stop nursing because she needed to go, she just went. Hmmm...off to check your link. But before I go,

Cyrus Mommy, what would lead you to believe you don;t have enough milk? When he unlatches, if you squeeze the breast does milk come out? How forceful is the amount? does it shoot across the room?

I Guess I Feel I Have No Milk Due To Him Latching On And Off All The Time. I Know That Is Not The Case , Because Although I Never Feel Full Anymore Milk Is Coming Out. I Guess I'm Not Sure Why He Has To Fight Me......it Is Really Hard To See Him Do It. He Is Gaining Good 14 Pds. Was 9 Pds 1 Oz When He Was Born. It Is Just Really Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cyrus.mommy View Post
    I Guess I Feel I Have No Milk Due To Him Latching On And Off All The Time. I Know That Is Not The Case , Because Although I Never Feel Full Anymore Milk Is Coming Out. I Guess I'm Not Sure Why He Has To Fight Me......it Is Really Hard To See Him Do It. He Is Gaining Good 14 Pds. Was 9 Pds 1 Oz When He Was Born. It Is Just Really Hard.
    I feel exactly the same, we are going on week 3 like this and it doesn't seem to get any better. I wish we could bf in peace. I think my OALD has something to do with it, but she crys before and after the letdown also, why is that??? I am greatful that we do have some qualitly time bfing when she is really sleepy I am on day 8 of dairy free without any notible change so far and I just bought teething tabs today. I know this will get better at some point, but I just wish I could figure it out and fix it for her asap.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09