Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bfing and solids

Default bfing and solids

Hi ladies,

My son got sick this weekend, he had a slight fever, so I simply bfed him and didn't offer solids as much. When I did offer him solids he didn't really want them anyway. I've noticed that his output from bfing is definitly different from solids and bfing. When I was bfing and giving him solids once or twice a day he would only bfeed around 6 times a day and have around 4 wet diapers and one poopy diaper. With just bfing him this weekend he has been having really full wet diapers, I think around 6-8, and has at least a couple of bfing poopys. Does this mean that he wasn't getting enough before? Should I just bfeed him or should I continue solids? I've been giving him solids since he was seven months, now he is nine..

Just wondering -thanks 4 any feedback!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: bfing and solids

I don't necessarily think he wasn't getting enough before just maybe he had less wet diapers because all the milk he was taking in was being used for poopy diapers. I don't know, just a guess

IMO, if he seems content and happy with mostly BM I just wouldn't worry about solids unless he seems interested. Some babies EBF till they're 12 MO.

Maybe try mainly BM for the next few days and offer solids once a day or every other day and see how it goes.

I found this quote in this article "Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well."

HTH
    Nikki

Wife to my best friend and mommy to our sweet little man born 4/07!

Still 'ing and loving life! We cloth!