Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I drop a session?

Question How do I drop a session?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to drop our 530 pm nursing session. That is the one that happens almost as soon as I walk in the door from work. My DS is 32 months old. He nurses then, before bed, during the night, in the morning and then before his nap on the weekends.

A major distraction, some new trains, worked one day but we can't do that every day. Yesterday I tried to make all kinds of actvities sound more enticing than "opposide" but DS wanted none of it. He started getting very upset, so I said we'd set the timer and nurse until it dinged. I thought I'd make the interval shorter every few days.

Any suggestions? What worked for you? I've looked at How Weaning Happens a little bit and could really use some ideas.

Thanks for your help! I can't believe I am posting on the weaning board!

Default Re: How do I drop a session?

that might not be the best feed to pick because hes trying to reconect after being gone all day...
    one of the other ones you might find is easier to kick....

Watch him to for clues that you weaning to fast.
    You can do it...

How did he do with the timed nursing? DS did really well early in my pregnancy with me counting to 10 before it was time for him to come off. I would count generally based on my discomfort level, but it wouldn't have to be done that way. This type of limiting worked well for us.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    that might not be the best feed to pick because hes trying to reconect after being gone all day...
    one of the other ones you might find is easier to kick....

Watch him to for clues that you weaning to fast.
    You can do it...
    Your ds is probably very attached to this nursing session and is unlikely to give it up happily. He has been away from you all day and wants to reconnect.

What about this nursing session makes you feel it needs to go right now? Are you feeling overwhelmed by the day and wanting some time to yourself? Are you frustrated because you see other things around the house than need doing...dinner, bills, etc? It might help to take some time to yourself before you walk through the door. Maybe take a walk, or just sit in the car and read or listen to the radio. If you feel as though you need a bathroom, a change of clothes, or a shower, you can teach him to wait a few minutes until you've taken care of these things. Am I correct in assuming that daddy is home with your little guy when you walk through door? Having him engaged in an activity that he enjoys with dad...maybe playing outside or reading a book...could help you get those few minutes of downtime you need.

If it's more a matter of wanting to get other things done during that time, maybe you could have daddy start dinner, or throw a load of laundry in, or whatever else is on your mind that is not allowing you to enjoy reconnecting with your son. His need for nursing after work will go away with time, but he won't soon outgrow his need to be with you...and when he does, you'll wish he hadn't! They really do grow up too fast.