Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfed newborns spitting up?

Default Breastfed newborns spitting up?

Thanks for the help so far! In the last day or two, our 11 day old son, Colton, has begun spitting up durng and/or after eating. We were told in our breastfeeding class that newborns don't spit up. I realize its possible, but we are a bit confused because this just showed up instead of happening from the beginning.

Default Re: Breastfed newborns spitting up?

I haven't ever heard that breastfed babies don't spit up. My son who is now about 5 months used to spit up a lot, then we figured out that we were overfeeding him and that had something to do with it. Overfeeding from the perspective of eating too much at one feeding. For example, I always thought that "to do it right" I was supposed to nurse on both sides at one feeding. But every time I tried that he spit up. When I kept it to one side per feeding session it made him spit up less. That's just us though, a LLL leader would have more insight. Another change for us was instead of using the full size Medela bottles, we started using the "freezer pack" bottles which hold about half the milk as a full size bottle. When we decreased the amount we fed him at a meal he spit up less. But all babies are different and I guess part of it is making small changes to see what helps.
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Goodness, I have never heard that one before. Here is a link with some good information on babies spitting up:

[URL="http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html#normal"]http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html#normal[/URL

Here is a quote from that link:

"Spitting up, sometimes called physiological or uncomplicated reflux, is common in babies and is usually (but not always) normal. Most young babies spit up sometimes, since their digestive systems are immature, making it easier for the stomach contents to flow back up into the esophagus (the tube connecting mouth to stomach).

Babies often spit up when they get too much milk too fast. This may happen when baby feeds very quickly or aggressively, or when mom’s breasts are overfull. The amount of spitup typically appears to be much more than it really is. If baby is very distractible (pulling off the breast to look around) or fussy at the breast, he may swallow air and spit up more often. Some babies spit up more when they are teething, starting to crawl, or starting solid foods.

A few statistics (for all babies, not just breastfed babies):

Spitting up usually occurs right after baby eats, but it may also occur 1-2 hours after a feeding.
    Half of all 0-3 month old babies spit up at least once per day.
    Spitting up usually peaks at 2-4 months.
    Many babies outgrow spitting up by 7-8 months.
    Most babies have stopped spitting up by 12 months.
    If your baby is a ‘Happy Spitter’ --gaining weight well, spitting up without discomfort and content most of the time -- spitting up is a laundry & social problem rather than a medical issue."

I think if he is spitting up after every nursing maybe try feeding on just one side each time would be something good to try. If you are really concerned, especially if he's showing signs of distress, you might try contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

DS spits up from time to time. It looks like he's spitting up pure milk instead of what I remember spit up looking like in other babies. Is this normal?

Also, talking about feeding on just one side, what if your baby still shows interest in nursing after you've finished on one side? I really think DS is getting too much milk, but if he shows interest in more, I allow him to eat it because I can't tell if he's really full or not.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

heres a good link on how to tell if you have oversupply problems.
    some spitting up is normal even for a breastfeed baby.
    Sometimes just holding then upright after feeds will help.
    but I agree with a pp, if you have problems you should call a local leader they can help!