Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Constipation

Default Breastfeeding and Constipation

Does breastfeeding cause constipation for the mother? i have been constipated since I gave birth. I've been on Colace since we left the hospital and still have not gotten back to any regularity.

I did have an episiotomy but don't see how that healing has much to do with my constipation at this point (it's been 3 weeks now).

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Constipation

Breastfeeding doesn't cause constipation, but not getting enough water and not enough fiber in your diet can.
    Often mother's are a bit constipated because of birth and all the stress and havoc it takes out on your body, you might want to call your OB or midwife, or even your family doctor though.
    Eating well can be hard with a new baby, are you able to drink plenty of water and eat pretty good?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I hadn't focused on my diet, quite honestly. I am trying to make sure that I am getting plenty of protein (either in the form of meats, eggs or dairy) but realized a couple days ago that I have slacked a little on my fluid intake (I had been doing 64 oz of water religiously when prego and in the past few days have been drinking about half that).

I am on an iron supplement and I know those cause constipation as well.

... I hadn't focused a whole lot on my fiber at all. I guess I need to start.

I called the doc and they suggested a laxative (even though I did have a bm today) to get things moving, but to call again next week if the situation persists.

Steel cut oats work wonders and orange juice with a lot of pulp. I speak from experience.

I had never had a problem until postpartum. I was extremely regular my whole life and through pregnancy. Now I have to really make sure that I am drinking plenty of water and eating lots of fruit. That has helped tons! The only warning... if you eat too much fruit (which I sometimes do ... lol) you may experience really soft stools. I don't think bf causes constipation. IMO I think it's our lack of sleep mostly that effects how our body is processing everything.

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~