Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! Mastitis

Red face Help!! Mastitis

I need your help girls! I have a horrible case of Mastitis. I was in so much pain last night I couldn't decide whether I was gonna puke or pass out. My doc called in some medicine, for 14 days--What do I need to do to be sure that we don't compound the problem w/thrush?

Also--what is the best way to keep it from continuing? I've been told to pump, but isn't that going to compound the problem I'm having w/oversupply? She is still having green poops--I will say she is in her 3 week growth spurt, so she's been nursing more than I've been pumping.

Any help you ladies can offer would be a HUGE help!
    Thanks in advance!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Default Re: Help!! Mastitis

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rApr93p19.html
    there's some good ideas in this link
    keep on nursing! As much as you can stand, you can take a pain killer also if needed.
    this is a good link too not lll
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

I think the most important thing is to rest with the baby!
    Let her nurse as much as she will and plan to spend the day in bed.
    hope you are fealing beter tomorrow!

Krista, how are you doing today? I'm so sorry to hear you've developed mastitis. I hope after 24 hours on the antibiotics you are well on the road to recovery.

Taking acidophilus every day will help you avoid developing thrush. You can buy it as a supplement at a health food store. The "good stuff" that is kept in the fridge is probably more potent. Also try to limit the sugars in your diet pretty drastically for the next couple of weeks.

If you are dealing with oversupply, then pumping is the last thing you want to do right now -- in fact, it's possible that the oversupply is part of what caused the mastitis in the first place. The ONLY reason you should pump is if you cannot nurse on the infected breast. Hopefully you are treating your pain adequately so that you can bear to nurse on that side -- and hopefully Ada Grace is stepping up to help you out and keep the milk moving through that breast.

It's really, really important to keep the infected breast from getting engorged, so nurse nurse nurse, especially on that side. And go to bed and STAY THERE until you are well recovered. Mastitis can be our body's way of telling us to slow down and take it easy, especially in these early postpartum weeks.

Let us know how you're doing -- I've been worrried about you since I saw this thread last night.

--Rebecca

oh i feel for you! been there too and it's no fun at all. i agree about the skip the pumping thing and stick to baby nursing it out. i found (with my 19 or so bouts of mastitis) that in a really warm shower and right after baby nursed i could manually press off some of the infection. sometimes it hurt like heck but it felt oh so much better afterwards. oversupply and mastitis seem to be good friends of one another.

hang in there and get lots of rest and vitamin c as well as some acidophillus.

[ j ]

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I hope you feel better soon! I had mastitis, took an antibiotic, and now am on month 3 of dealing with thrush . I didn't know about acidophilus until it was too late. Take it every day you take the antibiotic.

I also manually expressed in the bathtub or shower after nursing. I have a bit of an oversupply too. I completely quit pumping for a few weeks and nursed as often as possible. I felt much better within a few days.

Thanks for your help and suggestions ladies! I'm going to go to the whole foods store tomorrow for some acidophilous (sp??) and vitamin C. I haven't pumped except on Friday night when I hurt so bad that I felt like my left breast was going to explode like Mt. St. HElens and she couldn't latch on. Fortunately (if there is such a thing w/mastitis), it happened at the same time as the 3 week growth spurt, so she has nursed like a champ since I got the engorgement down in the left breast.
    Unfortunately, this couldn't have come at a worse time emotionally. I'm sitting on the couch crying right now and need to vent. Please forgive the upcoming hormonal ramblings....
    1--DS has hand foot and mouth disease, so keeping him away from the baby is somewhat akin to successfully mixing oil and water.
    2--DH is very supportive of BF if it doesn't interfere w/his schedule. He seems to approve almost solely due to the financial benefits. When we went out to dinner the other night and she started fussing on the way home. He very loudly proclaimed that BF babies are spoiled. Tonight, as I was brushing my teeth before bed she started fussing and he got irritated and announced that he has to get up at 5 a.m. So--I brought the baby in the bonus room and am nursing her in here, and will most likely end up sleeping on the couch again. I agree that the mastitis may have been my body's way of telling me to slow down--but DH just doesn't get that. He is a good hubby, but is very demanding about the house being spotlessly clean and having everything put away, so I've been trying to have the house cleaned every day before he gets home from work, and have a shower and look cute too, not so easy to do all of that 3 weeks out from a c-section when you're nursing every 2 hours for 45 minutes to an hour at a time. He doesn't understand the health implications of not BF, all he knows is he can't feed her right now, and according to him, he is a walking laxative for her because she poops every time he holds her. To make matters worse, his sister and BIL who he is very close to, have yet to see our little girl. They live 2 hours away and thus far, according to his sis, haven't felt like making the trip, which I know has hurt him badly. All I can do is cry. I have actually been successful w/BF this time and now I feel like I have NO support.

So sorry to ramble--any pieces of advice you all can offer to convert my DH would be greatly appreciated!!

Krista
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed

Wow! Hugs to you! I can sympathize although might not be able to offer a lot of advice. My dh was the same way. Only he works 6am to 3pm so his alarm goes off at 3:45 for him to leave at 5:30. We're still working on not having to "snooze" for an hour!! Our room is right next to dd's room and everyday it seems she wakes with the alarm. Thankfully, she's started to roll over and go back to sleep.

He too likes the house clean (not that they help get it that way, right!). DD also nurses a lot even now at 5 1/2 months so sometimes I'm getting out of the shower and pulling my hair up as he's walking thru the door. (But I couldn't care less about looking cute! You go girl!!) Then I need to start getting dinner ready so he can go out two nights a week. On top of that he wanted a little lovey, lovey every night. NOT!

LOL about the human laxative. My dd wouldn't even go to her dad thru her 3rd month. He thought that was b/c of bf'ing. He always told me he would get up w/ her during the night if he could feed her but he can't so, oh well, zzzzz! Many nights I brought her downstairs and slept w/ her on the couch!

We actually had to go to a marriage counselor which has really helped a lot. DD is not my first child, but is his and he truly didn't know the demands of a newborn especially one you couldn't plug a bottle into it's mouth. He was sure he would be fine b/c he helped bring up 3 much younger siblings. NOT the same thing. As far as the house, the counselor was able to make him see that I'm not super woman and some things had to slide. People first. I'd left his wet towel on the floor, his shoes in the middle of the room and the glasses he stacks up in his office for days. He kept asking me to "grab them on my way thru". Never once did it click to do it himself.

He's really supportive of my bf'ing, as far as fending off comments from others, but sometimes I think inside he's happy he doesn't have to worry about feeding her at all. He's yet to change a diaper and he's only bathed her twice However, she now thinks he's the super duper play time pal and she goes to him all the time for hugs and kisses so I'm getting a break that way.

I guess I'm trying to say it's getting better for us and hopefully as you begin to feel better physically and get both kids into a routine you'll be able to better handle hubby. Mine has actually started to clear dishes from the table - he needs to tell the counselor something, right!! Yikes I had to vent as well. Hang in there, it will get better.

Krista, I pm'd you, but for the benefit of any other mothers reading who are in similar situations, I'm going to summarize the highlights of my response.

First, here's a big ol' kick in the hiney for your insensitive and self-centered DH. (And let's all remember that sometimes, the "D" in "DH" does NOT stand for "dear!")

Second, I want to note that you are not alone in these feelings. A new baby can be a huge stressor on a marriage. I went through most of the worst moments in our 10-year marriage during the first 3 months of my son's life. You are also adjusting from having one child to having two children, and that is HUGE for any mother but especially for one who is breastfeeding. You don't get to nest for hours with your nursling and your boppy and your ice water and your relaxation tapes when you also have a toddler who is trying to stick frozen peas up his nose. Even if everything was going well (no mastitis, an attentive and helpful husband) -- this would still be a completely insane time in your life. You're doing a wonderful and incredible job nursing Ada Grace and keeping things afloat. Don't you DARE let anyone make you think otherwise!!

Third -- listen to your body. You are doing too much. If hubby wants the house clean, he can bloody well clean it himself for the next few weeks. YOU NEED SOME HELP. Anyone in your position right now would need some help. If your hubby can't or won't step forward with that help, then pick up the phone and call friends and relatives to find the help. They can bring meals, play with your son, run errands, even do your laundry and vacuum.

Fourth -- you are recoving from major abdominal surgery and a severely infected breast. Also, you are nursing a 3-week-old growth-spurting baby. This means that YOU get to sleep in a bed tonight, and if hubby is disturbed by the baby, HE can take the couch in the living room. Stand up for your needs. You are a strong and amazing woman who has already overcome huge obstacles to nurse your daughter. You have the right to a comfortable bed.

I could go on and on but I promised this would be a summary of the highlights. Hang in there and focus on YOUR basic survival needs right now, and ask for help from the people in your life. Let us know how you're doing; I will watch for your posts and messages.

--Rebecca

Smile Re: Help!! Mastitis

Here's an update!!

I talked to the LC at my peds office yesterday and let her know what was going on and she said she thinks that DD has reflux. I took her to the doc today and she is now on prevacid. They also weighed her, 9 pounds 2 oz--that means that since she left the hospital 3 weeks and 2 days ago, she has gained 2 pounds and 2 oz....YEAH!!

also--I went for my 4 week c/s follow up and am doing great. I have lost 28 pounds since I delivered and had lost 16 while pg--which means that since this time last year I have lost 44 pounds!! I only have 60 more to go to reach the top end of my goal weight range.

All seems to be going well--if we can just get the baby to sleep in the evening, in her bassinet, that would be GOOD!! we co-sleep from the time she wakes up for her first night-time feeding until we get up for the day, but putting her down at night has become an issue due to the reflux. Hopefully the prevacid will work--her daddy and I need some us time.

THanks for all of your help, thoughts and prayers--they have truly worked!

Krista
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed