Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balancing dog time and breastfeeding?

Default Balancing dog time and breastfeeding?

I have a 3 year old and worry about the challenge of breastfeeding when needing to walk to the dog. Any advice you ladies can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Balancing dog time and breastfeeding?

I don't quite understand - you want to bf while walking the dog? Sounds tricky.

re-read your post, edited mine:

Maybe you can hire a neighborhood kid to walk the dog once a day; that way you'll only have to find time for one walk

ive seen some mommies walking the dog while they take the baby for a stroller ride? Or put the baby into a sling and go!
    I also like the pp's idea about paying a kid to walk the dog.
    maybe you could even barter for something instead of $$$

Perhaps a sling would allow you to do both at the same time.

There's a mom in our neighborhood whom I often see out walking with her whole crew. She has their big dog on a leash, the toddler in a jogging stroller, and the baby in a front pack. They are really on the move, and it looks like she gets both her cardio and her resistance training at the same time -- a strong lady!

If your dog, like mine, is not well-trained to leash, then you could try looping the leash around your waist, so when he pulls, he doesn't take your arm and the stroller with him.

As for how this works with breastfeeding -- well, you shouldn't be walking a dog and pushing a stroller and wearing a baby until you are well recovered from childbirth (several weeks at least), and by that time, the breastfeeding should be well-enough established so that you get a fairly predictable interval after at least a couple feedings. Keep your shoes on, and as soon as baby is done eating and has a clean diaper on, just strap your older one into the stroller, grab the dog's leash, and head out the door. Some moms find it useful to keep a diaper bag pre-packed with snacks, drinks, etc. and have that already by the door or in the stroller.

Good luck -- let us know how this works out for you!

--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey
    I have a 3 year old and worry about the challenge of breastfeeding when needing to walk to the dog. Any advice you ladies can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for the confusing wording. My dog will be 3 when my baby is born. She has calmed down significantly and spends most of her time sleeping during the day. I like the baby sling idea. During the day it would be tough to hire a kid since he/she would be in school.

I wanted too add also ...as hot as it is here in OHio if its hot where you are drink plenty of water and take a few short walks instead of one long one.
    Do you have ozone days where your at? WE have one today in ohio, they said it with the heat index its going to feal like tripple digets today.
    Maybe a tennis ball game would exersice the dog just untill it gets cooler outside and you can get outside.

It was difficult for me to take care of Joy (our dog) right after I had out daughter. Joy was the baby, but when we had our daughter that all changed. Now she is just the dog. She has adjusted well and I am able to take her out now that Kirsten is older.

Right after Kirsten was born, Joy would be tied out to go potty, or let out a couple times a day, and that was about all the attention she received. I know that sounds mean, especially since we did so much with her before the baby, but I was on survival mode. Taking care of the baby was about all I could do those first few weeks.

Someone mentioned above that you have a time period post partum where you are not to do any strenuous exercise. Usually that is for 6 weeks. Walking the dog with a newborn doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Unless your dog is leash trained, it is very difficult to safely walk with a stroller or a sling. In a sling, your primary concern is going to be good head support and comfort of your baby. I know my dog is large and can pull me off balance. Walking her with a stroller was also very difficult since she tends to pull.

Now that Kirsten's older, I take joy somewhere that she can run and then I put her on the leash and finish the walk. She seems to do better that way.

I hope that you can find someone else to take responsibility for your "furbaby" if you are very concerned about it. They have professional dog walkers you can hire as well.

Really, at first you want to take care of your baby and yourself and there is not much time for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey
    Sorry for the confusing wording. My dog will be 3 when my baby is born. She has calmed down significantly and spends most of her time sleeping during the day. I like the baby sling idea. During the day it would be tough to hire a kid since he/she would be in school.

Ah, that's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure! When is your baby due? If it's after school is back in session, you could still get a neighborhood kid to take the dog for his afternoon/evening walk. In the morning, you could just let the pup out for a pee at some point.

We, too, really gave our dog the shaft when our dd was born. We felt horrible about it, but now that the babe is older, the doggy is getting more attention again...from all of us. While we were in "survival mode," as britebow put it, we found the dog to be very good about holding it a little longer than usual while we got the hang of stuff. Good luck!