Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing along with breastmilk

Default Supplementing along with breastmilk

My husband and I are planning a quick overnight trip without the kids and I am wondering what the best way to do bottles would be. I checked in the freezer and I have way less milk than I thought so unless I can seriously start producing some milk between now and the fourth I'm going to have to supplement with formula. I'm hoping to have enough milk that I will be able to do half and half with each bottle. My questions that I have are:

What formula would be the best to go with? My son is allergic to milk and I haven't had Liliana tested yet so to be on the safe side I'm going to go ahead and do a soy based formula.

Should I mix the two or come up with a way to do it seperately?

How many bottles should I make her? I typically nurse on demand but I would say she gets at least 6 full feedings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Default Re: Supplementing along with breastmilk

I also wonder if it would be better to buy the formula that is already made so that all the babysitter would have to do is give the breastmilk and then pour an ounce or two in the empty bottle to top her off.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

K so I was researching formulas and came across this:

Protein hydrolysate formula. This type of formula is meant for babies who have a family history of milk allergies. It's easier to digest and less likely to cause allergic reactions than are other types of formula.

Should I buy something like this since milk allergies run in the family or is soy formula fine?

I feel so guilty for having to give her formula. I know it's not the worst thing in the world but I still feel bad.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladonna View Post
    Should I mix the two or come up with a way to do it seperately?
    Make separate bottles of milk and formula, and have your sitter give the breastmilk bottle first and the formula bottle second. That way if your baby decides not to finish the second bottle, it's only formula that gets wasted.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along soon with advice on your other questions! Have a great overnight with your husband, and don't feel guilty about possibly having to give formula. If a night away from the kids enables you to be a better mommy when you get back, a few half-bottles of formula isn't that high a price to pay.

Oh- and this is probably obvious but I'm going to mention it anyway: make sure you take your pump with you. That way you will be able to maintain your milk supply while you're separated from your baby, and you won't end up engorged and uncomfortable.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you're going to supplement with formula, I'd recommend making separate bottles of breastmilk and formula. The formula is only good for two hours while the EBM is good at room temp for up to 10. No sense wasting that precious EBM if the bottle doesn't get used within two hours. You can alternate the formula and EBM or just use the formula once the EBM runs out.

Enjoy your time with your husband. As the pp stated, a happy mommy is very important for a happy baby. Don't feel guilty at all about using the formula.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Gentle Reminder: LLL cannot offer advice on specific formulas for supplementation, as we are not medical professionals.

In general, infants usually take in 1-1.5oz of expressed milk for each hour they are separated from their mother. So, up to 36oz of expressed milk per day is what most infants would take in. If some of baby's feeds will be formula, and not milk, that number can vary, as formula is less bioavailable than breastmilk, so infants often take in more ounces of formula than they would of expressed milk.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

If it's just for the one day recommend splurging on the premixed formula so sitter does not have to mix it.

The powder is good for 24 hrs in the fridge once mixed and 1 hr once baby starts to suck on bottle.

the liquid concentrate is the same spoilage times & more expensive but mixes easier.

the ready to serve cans do not spoil until they are opened (OK there is an expiry date but not an issue for an overnight trip) and cost a lot of $$ but may make up for it in convenience. Also don't have to worry about sterile water for mixing.

all these forms taste different even within the same brand. your LO may not like some of them ( a bit like cats that way ). i suspect bm tastes a whole lot better than any formula; i'm basing that on the smell.

BTW, unused cans of formula can be donated to a food bank.
    2005 2008

OK so I went out and bought the concentrated liquid Emfamili ProSobee formula. I made her a 4 ounce bottle and she drank it right up even after nursing.

So now I wonder if I should have the babysitter use all of the breastmilk that's in the freezer for bottles and then once that runs out to use the formula? Or would it be better still to do 3 ounces of breastmilk followed by 3 ounces of formula?
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

I would probably use the breastmilk first, then go to the formula. Although, now that I've said that she may want to save some breastmilk bottles for bedtime/nightime feedings. We supplemented at day care and my lo's teachers told me she would go to sleep much easier when she had a breastmilk bottle rather than a formula bottle.

Have fun on your trip!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous