Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: newborn feeding habits

Question newborn feeding habits

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here, so I'm sorry if it's formed poorly or anything.

Last night our baby seemed to feed 3 hours straight, with on/off sucking, then finally fell asleep at around 2 AM, and naturally we fell asleep too, but forgot to set any alarms for night feedings. We woke up at 8 AM and she was still sleeping and it was quite the chore to get her awake and on the breast. And even then, she didn't seem interested and kept falling asleep. She's not acting hungry, and we're a little concerned. Is it ok for her to go this long?

She's two weeks old today, and started out her first doctor's appointment a little underweight, so he had us supplement with formula, which I'm afraid has messed with our breastfeeding efforts, but we've since gotten her off the formula and seem to be feeding well, we think.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Josh

Default Re: newborn feeding habits

Hello Josh,
    My daughter would nurse later in the evening just the same as your baby. She would then sleep for longer periods of time. Ranging from 5 - 8 hours. My doctor said it is called cluster feeding. She would fill herself up and sleep longer. Sometimes they tell you that you should wake them up at least until they are 4 - 6 weeks old and you have had a chance to build up a good milk supply. Hope this helps some.
    Amanda

Hi Josh!

How has her diaper output been? She should be having 5-6 wet diapers per day and at least 3-4 bowel movements. This is a great way to tell if she's getting enough, along with weight gain.
    Sometimes it happens than babies sleep a long period like that, and if it happens once in awhile and she's doing alright with nursing otherwise it's not a big deal.
    How does she seem to be doing today?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

She's been having about 4-6 wet diapers per day, though she may be wetting more than once per diaper and I can't tell. She usually only has one or two bowel movements a day, though they're usually very large (and can be messy ).

She seems ok today, though hasn't been waking up for feeding on her own at all, and she falls asleep immediately after feeding. She's had a hard time latching on correctly today too.

We're not sure about the weight gain, but yesterday at the lactation department of Kaiser, she was 3 oz under her birth weight, and she's two weeks today. We have another appointment with kaiser's lactation department on monday, but wanted to post here sooner because of our concern and her sleeping last night.

Thank you,
    Josh

Thanks for the update!

Sometimes it can be hard to tell, but does she seem to be nursing 10-12 times per day? If she's having a little trouble gaining and it sounds like she's sleepy you can try to wake her and have her nurse.

Here is some more info for you guys. You can also give your Local LLL Leader a call anytime to discuss things before Monday if you need to!

How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

(non LLL resources)
    Nursing your newborn — what to expect in the early weeks
    SLEEPY BABIES
    Waking A Sleepy Baby
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

That information is GREAT! Thank you so much! You've been a great help, and she just woke up and seems to be more interested in feeding... she must have adopted out night-owl lifestyle, we'll have to work on that

Again, thank you very much!
    Josh