Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when it's not just a spit up

Default when it's not just a spit up

My lo is 3 months old and like my older children she is a spitter. She is a happy spitter meaning she doesn't cry and isn't fussy b/c of it. I'e tried to view it as a laundry problem. However, I am starting to get concerned. More and more frequently lately (meaning increasing from 2-3 times a week to 1-2 times a day) she will vomit a large, large amount of undigested milk. Sometimes while the feeding is still going on. On a practical side, it has made cosleeping miserable as she can soak pjs, sheets, mattress pad. I'm also worried about breastfeeding her in public as burping her always result in a mess on the floor. Again, I'm not worried about her health - she's happy, gaining incredibly well. However, if this issue could be resolved breastfeeding would be a lot more enjoyable for the both of us. When I last saw my ped I mentionned this although at the time the high volume incidents were less frequent. She thought she just got too much milk too quickly. While I do seem to have a great supply my breast almost never leak milk.

Thanks guys!
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Default Re: when it's not just a spit up

hows weight gain?

check out this link too it might be helpful!
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t106004.asp

my ds was the same way. I had overactive letdown and later learned that he had reflux issues.

I started feeding from one breast per feeding which helped with the OALD. Later, from a suggestion here, I started to feed him more frequently (and after the first few feedings he took smaller amounts). Now he feeds for about 10 minutes from one breast every two hours. The spit up decreased drastically (still happened, but not nearly as frequently). I still ended up putting ds on zantac because he was spitting up in his mouth and swallowing it back down (while crying in pain), so now the spitting is more "normal" and ends up on his bib, not the floor.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

How is weight gain? If the spitting is increasing in volume, you should ask your doctor. We had the same problem and they were very concerned it could be pyloric stenosis. Not to worry you, but its quite serious, and easily fixed. YOu can goole it for symptoms.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    How is weight gain? If the spitting is increasing in volume, you should ask your doctor. We had the same problem and they were very concerned it could be pyloric stenosis. Not to worry you, but its quite serious, and easily fixed. YOu can goole it for symptoms.

My oldest son had pyloric stenosis. This was what I was thinking when I read this...
    Annette
    Mom to four - 2 of each
    DS#1 2/90
    DD#1 12/99
    DS#2 10/01
    DD#2 3/07

we love still

Weight gain has been great. She weiged 7lbs 2oz at birth and 2 weeks ago (at 2 1/2 months) weighed 13lbs 7oz. I do have some experience with GER as my older 3 kids were all on zantax and/or priolosec for reflux. Katie however never cries about spitting up (basically she never cries about anything). I will definately mention it again at the next doctor's appointment - we're on vacation right now but as soon as we get back she's going in for an ear recheck. I was more wondering if maybe she didn't like something in my diet. My feeling is that it's more of a huge laundry problem/carpet cleaning problem than a medical issue, but I could be wrong. The idea of feeding her more often is very interesting. I did know the other morning when she had slept through the night that she would have difficulty keeping down the feeding. I'm wondering if in those cases if I should unlatch her after a few minutes and make her burp and rest a bit before putting her back on. Oh and she almost always just takes one breat per feeding. It's pretty unusual for her to want both breasts.

EDA: As for the pyloric stenosis it definately is something I'll keep in mind. For now at least she still pees a lot and has very normal poops. She is also very satisfied after a feeding. But the vomiting she does is definatley closer at times to projectile than simple spitting up.
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; June 26th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*allnightdq View Post
    EDA: As for the pyloric stenosis it definately is something I'll keep in mind. For now at least she still pees a lot and has very normal poops. She is also very satisfied after a feeding. But the vomiting she does is definatley closer at times to projectile than simple spitting up.
    That's precisely why I mentioned it--just so you could be on the lookout for it. I re-read it, and I actually think taht at 3 months you would probably have already known it. Anyway...

ETA: waylon still spits up quite a bit, but its FINALLY getting better. I was so tired of the sheets getting soaked (and they still do from my OS, but at least its not so much stinky anymore).

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Spitting up peaks between two and four months. I agree with pp; it may just be a response to your OALD, so try feeding from one breast per session.