Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reverse cycling or growing out of feedings?

Default reverse cycling or growing out of feedings?

just wondering......
    my 5 month old ds has decreased his # of daytime feedings & can go 4 sometimes 5 hrs between feedings and just isn't as interested as he used to be. when i try to feed him, he'll eat for maybe 5 minutes and then pop off to look around, then on again, then off...you know how the story goes...

...night time feedings are (but pretty much always have been) very frequent. he'll usually wake around 6 times to feed and mind you he will only sleep about 9 hrs at night. the frequency tends to increase as morning approaches (usually after around 4am he starts waking to feed every 30min-1hr). to be honest i kind of don't even thing that it's that he's hungry b/c he won't nurse for that long. it seems more likely that he was stirred awake and wants to be nursed down again (wakes frequently during naps too). at that point i'm so exhausted i choose to go with the quickest and easiest method to get him to sleep again...nursing him. (..which oddly enough, only works at night).

so,....i'm wondering, i just read about reverse cycling. could this be what my lo is going through? should i try to feed him more during the day? or are his day feedings being dropped out because of age and he's becoming a more efficient eater?

<his weight and diaper counts are good >

Default Re: reverse cycling or growing out of feedings?

Reverse cycling usually has to do with sleep or the circadian rhythm. Like a baby separated from mama will begin sleeping more while separated so the "up" time is in the company of mama.

It sounds like you may be reaching the distractable baby time. Have you thought about reducing stimulus and nursing in darkened and quiet places? The popping off sounds distracted to me.

Will baby pop off during a letdown or is it more like when the milk is slowing down?

here is an additional article if you are interested in reading more about loss of sleep and breastfeeding: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sleep.html
    Last edited by carpentergirl; May 27th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Here is an article that refers to breastfeeding more during the night as reverse cycling: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Reverse cycling usually has to do with sleep or the circadian rhythm. Like a baby separated from mama will begin sleeping more while separated so the "up" time is in the company of mama.

It sounds like you may be reaching the distractable baby time. Have you thought about reducing stimulus and nursing in darkened and quiet places? The popping off sounds distracted to me.

Will baby pop off during a letdown or is it more like when the milk is slowing down?

here is an additional article if you are interested in reading more about loss of sleep and breastfeeding: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sleep.html
    hmm...ok...probably not reverse cycling...i know he's definitely more distracted during the day while feeding. i've tried feeding in a darkened room but his feedings are still so short.
    the popping off is usually after the letdown..