Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starving my baby?

Unhappy Starving my baby?

BB has been popping on and off nipple for a few days. Just thought it was a phase. Also thought baby had reflux because he was vomiting curdled milk substance. He goes through these spells (not every day) which I thought were pain from the reflux and he cries constantly and tonight was one of those nights. He was going completely rigid arching his back into a U formation. He would latch on only to pop off and scream. My husband suggested we try formula. I didn't think it would help because I tried bottle feeding BB breastmilk and he wouldn't take it. He is now working on his 6th oz of formula. Was I starving my baby and didn't know it? Is that why he was having those episodes of crying? I can't help but feel like a failure!! He's been voiding 6-8 diapers a day as well as stooling fine. I thought everything was OK.
    Last edited by AJsmommy; July 29th, 2006 at 04:42 PM.

Default Re: Starving my baby?

My ds has reflux, and your baby sounds like the perfect example of reflux. He is doing the exact same thing mine was. I thought I was starving ds too. This is how my pediatrician explained it to me: the arching and crying are classic signs of reflux. I would feed ds and he would cry, so I would give him formula. He would then have the hiccoughs. I was way over-feeding him! Babies w/ reflux tend to overeat because the milk coating their tummies soothes them. So you should talk to your pedi about the possibility of reflux.

i haven't even been able to get my girl to latch w/out a huge screaming fight all day! she has been being treated for reflux for the same symptoms you are describing. she has been taking the meds about 4 days so i don't expect they are working yet, but i am so frustrated! as soon as i get her in position to nurse she screams and cries. i can't get her to take a bottle at all so i don't even know how she would take formula or ebm- some have suggested a cup. i just don't want to give up! i want her to nurse happily. she will go three or four days and i will think it is better and then she has two or three days where every time she eats it is a fight. dh is here tonight and that makes it worse bc he takes her from me thinking that if he bounces her and plays w/ her it will all be better. she is still HUNGRY! he thinks i'm trying to overfeed her and that is why she is rejecting. i know she was not overfed today. i feel like she barely ate. so, no real advice here, just know you are not alone in this.

I think this is so common! I would rec amend a book called The Happiest Baby on The Block By William Karp. One thing, well several that he suggests is to swaddle these babies very tightly, even if they resists. Also reduce all stimuli and you also might want to try a dark room and also a white noise machine. I promise that this too shall pass, I remember how heartbreaking it was and so hard.... Please read that book and also yes it does sound like reflux, call your Dr and maybe do a trial of some meds just to see. Also, I say this with only from the sweetest place in my heart, I know that it is hard but please please be careful with the bottles and formula, I know that it seems to help now and if that is what you need to do then that is OK, but sometimes these bottles and formula can lead to nipple confusion, poor latch issues, milk supply issues and nursing strikes. They such very differently on the nipple bottle then your breast and also the formula digest very differently in their tummies than BM. I wish you all the best! And PS- you are wonderful mommies and were def NOT starving your babies.

It took a good 3 weeks for ds' reflux med to kick in. I have also noticed it still flares up even with the medicine if I eat something I am not suppose to (mainly dairy b/c he has a dairy intolerance).
    Hope that helps

ditto Jennifer, they do tend to over eat bc the milk is temp soothing, but over feeding will ultimitly make it owrse, plus formula has been proven to make reflux worse, the damage from reflux worse.

ditto Jennifer, they do tend to over eat bc the milk is temp soothing, but over feeding will ultimitly make it owrse, plus formula has been proven to make reflux worse, the damage from reflux worse.

Thumbs up Re: Starving my baby?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling like a bf failure! My bebé screams like I'm pulling out her toenails sometimes when she's popping on and off. She does have reflux (and takes Prevacid) as well as Delayed Gastric Emptying (for which she takes Erythromycin to help her digest the curdled grossness). We, too, have been trying to feed her a bottle when she does take the breast. I thought it was just because she was tired (she hasn't yet developed a sleeping schedule). This is so relieving!

Lightbulb Re: Starving my baby?

Thank you all for your help. I've got a call out to the Dr. We're awaiting a call back. I do think I've figured out that it may be a milk allergy as well as reflux. I had started weight watchers last week and was increasing my milk intake. It didn't occur to me that could be the cause of the worsening spit up that splattered on the floor like curdled milk. I've not had any milk for two days and the popping off and arching of the back have all but stopped. As far as the spit up and coughing with the watery eyes, that's still occuring. I've learned that he takes wonderful naps in the swing, probably due to the fact that he's sitting up. I wonder why it doesn't affect him at night like this? He sleeps through the night in his bassinet. Being a first time mommy is wearing me out. Again, thanks for all of the support. You guys are great.

Oh yes, a milk allergy can cause pain and more spit-up. My DS is allergic to milk and he gets really spitty when I drink milk-if I drink it for several days he will also pass blood in his stools.