Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids?

Default Starting solids?

My almost 5 month old is very interested in solids. He is almost sitting up unassisted, his tongue thrust reflex is diminishing (I fed him a bite of rice cereal off a spoon once). He grabs at my food and makes his mouth like he is eating.

Could I go ahead and start giving solids or should I just wait? I don't think 6 months is a magic age considering some babies are probably ready earlier and some much later. I really don't want to hinder our bf'ing relationship but I think he is ready.

Where can I learn about the best way to start solids? My ped. told me do the rice cereal for a few weeks, then veggies then meat then fruit. I thought that was kind of odd, but I don't really know.

Any opinions?
    Sam my little man since 1/9/08

Default Re: Starting solids?

I found this and this resource very helpful with regard to when

And this and this as good starting points with regard to what

(keep in mind too, babies this age are very interested in everything you do, from eating to putting on mascara )
    Last edited by Number3; May 27th, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.