Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Prepared - Fearing Constipation

Question Getting Prepared - Fearing Constipation

LO is 15 weeks. He will go to Pedi again on 06/20.

My MIL is convinced he needs cereal. He started a growth spurt last week and was nursing constantly. So I called Pedi to get their statement on when they think solids should be started. They say 4 mo with cereal.

My concern is LO only has a BM every 7-9 days. We introduce cereal before he can have fruit juice and the kid will never go. Plus LO is always gassy and sometimes gets belly aches. He gets Mylicon drops and that helps.

Anyone already been through this?

Default Re: Getting Prepared - Fearing Constipation

When my DD started solids, she actually had BMs more often than before, I think just because there's more solid waste to get rid of. She went from something like once a week before to every couple days after. So I wouldn't necessarily worry that he'll be constipated just because he doesn't go often now.

I'd say if he already has some trouble with gassiness/digestive issues, you may want to wait a little longer to introduce solids. AAP actually recommends 6 months. There's also no rule that says you have to start with cereal, you could try a fruit or veggie first if you're worried about the effects of cereal.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

I agree that it is normal to have stools once every 7 or more days in a ebf baby. Formula and solids both create more waste, as less of it is digestible. There may be no problem starting solids, but many agencies suggest postponing solids until after 6 months. Like the pp said, the American Association of Pediatrics now says between 4-6 months on starting solids. Other reputable places say after 6 months. I gave the link to solid readiness to you on another thread, but maybe you missed it. See what you think. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

Thanks for the link. I would like to wait until at least 5 mo. I am going to have a discussion with the Pedi about it all. The nurse was the one who called me back today. The Pedi himself is very pro breastfeeding and really encourages 6-12 months, so maybe he will also think it is better to wait if you can.

My Dh is very supportive, and feels LO is better off getting full on bm than cerela for now, so I am glad I have his support.

I did some research online and it does seem that many places now suggest the 6 months. I also read about using the organic cereals due to soy in the others. Not sure if that was in a thread or elsewhere online.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I agree that it is normal to have stools once every 7 or more days in a ebf baby. Formula and solids both create more waste, as less of it is digestible. There may be no problem starting solids, but many agencies suggest postponing solids until after 6 months. Like the pp said, the American Association of Pediatrics now says between 4-6 months on starting solids. Other reputable places say after 6 months. I gave the link to solid readiness to you on another thread, but maybe you missed it. See what you think. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

Actually AAP changed it...they used to say 4-6, now they say wait 6 months. Also, like pp said, you do not need to start with cereal. Avocado is a good starter food, or sweet potatoe. That way you are getting more nutrients.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I bought some rice cereal today, I am not going to use it yet, but I wanted to pick it out myself without arguing with DH. I bought an organic whole grain rice cereal, with no soy. I was suprised to see how little nutrients there are in the cereal. My husband is a chemist so we get into HUGE discussions over foods and vitamins. He would think the organic is crazy, but I wanted that also because it doesn't have the soy. It's amazing the stuff he knows about products though. Companies are very deceptive sometimes in the way they advertise their products, especially in the nutrient vitamin area.

Another note - anyone have a good website to refer me to for making baby food? I would like to use baby carrots and make my own, but I want to know how best to cook them so they retain the most nutrients.

Thanks

Don't feel weird about the organic rice cereal. That was what I started my little guy on. I figure, if I can't make it myself (and rice cereal would probably be kinda tough to make myself!), I'm gonna buy organic.

One thing about the rice cereal - my little guy totally rejected it after a few weeks, so I started mixing in some mashed banana thinned with breastmilk, and now he eats it right up!
    Jen

Mom to Colden Tonessen born on January 15, 2008 - 11 lb 2 oz and growing ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherZ View Post
    I was suprised to see how little nutrients there are in the cereal.
    I think that is why most don't start with cereal, but with avocados or bananas. Remember, your pedi just gives suggestions, you don't have to follow them if you are not ready to. You know best!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    Actually AAP changed it...they used to say 4-6, now they say wait 6 months.
    Wow I totally missed it! I googled and the 4-6 month suggestion popped up for 2007. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri H. View Post
    I think that is why most don't start with cereal, but with avocados or bananas. Remember, your pedi just gives suggestions, you don't have to follow them if you are not ready to. You know best!
    Right. we didn't bother with it... went straight to whole foods

Heather - this link and this one might help you with ideas for first foods
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.