Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 7 month-old baby will NOT drink from a bottle

Default My 7 month-old baby will NOT drink from a bottle

Hello!
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to get my 7-month old girl to drink from a bottle.
    I've been trying for a month and have had no luck at all! I tried, different bottles, different nipples, sippy cups, cold formula, warm formula, breast milk, water, juice, leaving the house, having a friend try to give her the bottle. She will eat everything else I feed her, except anything that comes from a bottle. Do you know of anything that I haven't tried yet?
    Thanks!

Default Re: My 7 month-old baby will NOT drink from a bottle

Babies that age can be pretty stubborn and just wait for mom to get back.
    keep trying!

At 7 months is there a reason that you want to do a bottle instead of a sippy cup/regular cup? I would try and go straight to a cup and just avoid the bottle all together if I were you. Have you tried a cup? My mom is a speech pathologist and thinks that learning to drink from the lip of a cup is more important than a sippy cup and to go straight there if possible. I havent tried it yet with my dd (she is 5 months), but am planning on it when she is about 6.5 months old. A cup will probably be messier, but she's gotta learn sometime... right?
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Mine is over a year and still wont drink from a bottle or sippy cup. If he sucks on one and manages to get something out, he spits it out straight away.
    However he will drink a little from those water bottles with a pop up 'sports' top. Its messy though and yours is probably too young. Keep trying different types though he may just take to one sort one day.
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Mine is almost a year and won't drink from bottle either. He loves biting the nipple though. So I mix his food with the breast milk instead. At least he can get some from it.

My DD was a little older than yours when she went on a nursing strike that ended up being permanent. She had never taken to the bottle and I was determined that she would continue to get BM until she was 1.

I tried everything that you have tried with your LO. I remember that frustration, so hang in there!! Believe it or not, she learned out how to drink out of a straw. It took a day or two, but from then on she drank her milk from a straw. It is worth a shot ...

and good luck!

Autumn
    Wife to Christopher since 8-2-02
    Proud Mom of Ailish Grace, born 8-31-05

I'm in the same boat as you. My DD is turning 8 months old this week. She pushes bottles away and will look at a bottle like it is a snake. She will, however, drink water (and only water) from a sippy cup or straight out of a plastic water bottle. I'm returning to work in a month and hoping that she might take formula or anything with some nutritional value out of the sippy cup when I leave her at daycare.

I'd suggest - as was previously mentioned, using a cup as opposed to a bottle at this point... a cup with a straw or 'regular' sippy.

Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I know this may sound strange, but my dd will only take a bottle if I am out of the building (and have been gone for a while). If I am in the house, you can forget it- and that is at my house, my parents, my in-laws, etc. She absolutely refuses. When I am gone for a while, it is like magic, she takes what her caretaker (typically her father, or nonny) gives her. I can't just be out of the room. You may have already tried this, but good luck none the less.