Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusively breastfeeding means??

Question Exclusively breastfeeding means??

no formula right?

because I had a "friend" tell me that if I let the doc put my LO on zantac for his reflux it will take away from the "exclusive" part, therefore impacting the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding.

and if that IS the case, what about gripe water? vitamin D? and acetaminophen for goodness sakes?

I wanted to tell her she was full of "fluff" but then I thought that there is a small chance she was right so I kept my mouth shut

any thoughts?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: Exclusively breastfeeding means??

Exclusively bf means no formula, but in my mind there is room for previous supplementing and now exclusively breast fed ect. Don't buy into the thought that by offering medicine you are compromising the title of your breastfeeding relationship. Not only is it difficult to really understand why it would matter, it sort of belittles the hard and enthusiastic work of a diligent mother. It is about so much more than that! You're doing great!

Crap like that makes people think negatively of bf. Think BF Nazis!

I always defined exclusive as no formula/solids. I guess to me exclusive means when baby gets all his nutrition from breast milk.
    Sam my little man since 1/9/08

She is definitely full of something. EBF (in my mind) mean no supplementing with formula, sugar water, solid food.

I would consider medicines and vitamins to be excluded from that designation.

Exactly.. medicines don't count!

Quote Originally Posted by sch.mommy View Post
    no formula right?
    Here is the WHO definiton of exclusive breastfeeding:
    (1) "Exclusive breastfeeding" is defined as no other food or drink, not even water, except breast milk for at least 4 and if possible 6 months of life, but allows the infant to receive drops and syrups (vitamins, minerals and medicines). "Predominant breastfeeding" means that the infant's predominant source of nourishment has been breast milk. However, the infant may also have received water and water-based drinks (sweetened and flavoured water, teas, infusions, etc), fruit juice, or ORS solution.
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/.../en/index.html
    Here is a link regarding the definitions of various degrees of breastfeeding. Note that this resource discusses the medical definitions of breastfeeding, mainly for the purpose of research studies. In order for breastfeeding research to be valid, there had to be agreed upon definitions so that one researcher wouldn't call "exclusive breastfeeding" something entirely different from another researcher. Please read the linked article to see how the definitions were decided upon and by whom.
    http://www.llli.org/ba/Feb00.html

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl
    Don't buy into the thought that by offering medicine you are compromising the title of your breastfeeding relationship. Not only is it difficult to really understand why it would matter, it sort of belittles the hard and enthusiastic work of a diligent mother. It is about so much more than that! You're doing great!