Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mo old doesn't seem interested

Question 4 mo old doesn't seem interested

I tried giving my DD some juice in a bottle yesterday and she had a fit like what is this. She is Exclusively breastfed, so could that be the problem. My other DD was not interested in solids until 7 mo. This girl is quite big (she was 13 lbs on 4/4) She's gotta be at least 15 now and I have to pump extra on my off days and simultaneously while nursing her in order to be like 2-3 bottles ahead. I thought she would be interested in eating but I guess not. Any suggestions???

Default Re: 4 mo old doesn't seem interested

It is suggested to wait on solids (or any other liquid other than bm) until 6 months of age. I would wait until then and try again. Maybe look into the pumping board here for some suggestions on how many bottles baby needs a day while you are at work and/or how to get more milk while pumping.

Thanks! Most babies like to suck and I guess to make up for that time, she is killing those bottles I leave with hubby! I'll wait

4 months is too young... and in my opinion juice is not a good solid to start with...... its just sugar...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    4 months is too young... and in my opinion juice is not a good solid to start with...... its just sugar...

IMO, juice isn't something you want your baby getting hooked on. It's full of sugar, which is bad for the teeth once they start to come in. And while it has a lot of vitamins, it doesn't have any fiber or much protein to balance that sugar rush. Nutritionally, I think I'd go with cereal or pureed veggies or even formula before juice bottles.

I know pumping enough for a growing baby is a huge struggle, and I really applaud you on doing it! You're a good mama.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post

I know pumping enough for a growing baby is a huge struggle, and I really applaud you on doing it! You're a good mama.

I also wanted to add that adding solids or juice at this point would only hinder your milk supply. When you feed your baby directly at the breast, she is getting more out than she would if you pumped milk out. So, by giving her juice or solids where she would normally be eating directly from you would decrease your supply even if you pumped. I hope that makes sense. You are doing a great job!! My advice would be to not even worry about solids and then at 6 months follow her cues and take it slow. GL!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09