Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to solid rice cereal

Default when to solid rice cereal

I have a 2 month old son who is exclusively bf. He is eating every hour on the hour for the past week. My husband suggested that we call the dr. to see if starting him on rice cereal would be okay. I know that he is young but he seems like a bottomless pit. I have a feeling that the dr. is going to suggest to supplement with formula which I have no problem with but hubby is against that. What do you all think?

Default Re: when to solid rice cereal

he may not need either. he is probably in a growth spurt.
    Last edited by toriandlukesmom; July 29th, 2006 at 03:23 PM.

Yep, I have to agree growth spurt. My dd went through stages like that. I know it's hard but let them nurse, it will get better soon. I wouldn't do rice cereal - too young for that.

agree....it's too early to introduce rice cereal. my daughter is 10 weeks old and our pediatrician said that the earliest we could introduce rice cereal is when our daughter is 4 months old. also introducing solids too early could trigger allergies...

heres what lll says about starting solid foods.
    you might want to show it to your hubby.
    your baby is just the right age for a growth spurt, I bet he will be growing out of some of his clothes soon.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html

Growth Spurt for sure, esp. if your breasts feel and are empty. Give it a couple of days, the situation should start looking brighter. I agree with your ped. 4 months should be the earliest you start rice cereal, if you do decide to start then. Good Luck but trust me it does get better.

Quote Originally Posted by timber101
    I have a 2 month old son who is exclusively bf. He is eating every hour on the hour for the past week. My husband suggested that we call the dr. to see if starting him on rice cereal would be okay. I know that he is young but he seems like a bottomless pit. I have a feeling that the dr. is going to suggest to supplement with formula which I have no problem with but hubby is against that. What do you all think?
    I do agree with all the previous posts that he's going through a growth spurt. See this link here ... Growth spurts. "During a growth spurt, breastfed babies nurse more often than usual (sometimes as often as every hour) and often act fussier than usual."

Don't forget that breastmilk provides more fat and calories than any food you can provide your little one! And at that young of an age any solids you give him will likely be replacing precious breast milk. Not to mention that babies that young are not developmentally ready to take on solids yet ... see this thread here ... http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...24&postcount=4

Kellymom.com states:

Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well.

Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; July 29th, 2006 at 05:43 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I have found this thread to be great info! I always love the links to other pages!!
    I'd like to ask if there are any, suggestions there may be for a quick "painless" response there may be to those well-wishing family members who say things like: "oh, your not giving rice cereal yet? I gave my ... cereal when they were six weeks old, like my doctor told me to so they would sleep through the night" ~ to which I think -horrors - though I like sleep, I adore my midnight feedings.Or - I love this one - "...is he sleeping through the night?" and I'll reply with something like, nope, not yet - I don't expect him to for a while. To which they reply "oh well, if you didn't breastfeed and gave him a bottle & cereal he would and then you'd be happier" again - I am shocked to hear such things because I wonder what gave them the impression that I was unhappy... but I digress; any thoughts on a reply/replies?
    Thanks
    Eme
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3
    I have found this thread to be great info! I always love the links to other pages!!
    I'd like to ask if there are any, suggestions there may be for a quick "painless" response there may be to those well-wishing family members who say things like: "oh, your not giving rice cereal yet? I gave my ... cereal when they were six weeks old, like my doctor told me to so they would sleep through the night" ~ to which I think -horrors - though I like sleep, I adore my midnight feedings.Or - I love this one - "...is he sleeping through the night?" and I'll reply with something like, nope, not yet - I don't expect him to for a while. To which they reply "oh well, if you didn't breastfeed and gave him a bottle & cereal he would and then you'd be happier" again - I am shocked to hear such things because I wonder what gave them the impression that I was unhappy... but I digress; any thoughts on a reply/replies?
    Thanks
    Eme
    Hi, Eme!

Check out this reply for great links ... http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...22&postcount=3.

And I'll write more in the morning!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by Number3
    I gave my ... cereal when they were six weeks old, like my doctor told me to so they would sleep through the night" ~ to which I think -horrors - though I like sleep, I adore my midnight feedings.Or - I love this one - "...is he sleeping through the night?" and I'll reply with something like, nope, not yet - I don't expect him to for a while. To which they reply "oh well, if you didn't breastfeed and gave him a bottle & cereal he would and then you'd be happier" again - I am shocked to hear such things because I wonder what gave them the impression that I was unhappy... but I digress; any thoughts on a reply/replies?
    Thanks
    Eme
    Hi again, Eme. I absolutely hate these two questions:
    "Is she sleeping through the night?" and
    "Is she a good baby??"

I actually wrote about these two questions a couple months ago in my blog ... "Nursing at Night"

Of course, shortly after I wrote that Addie threw me for another loop and stopped going to sleep at night so easily (we still nurse all night, but it takes me a looonngg time to nurse her down now, and she ends up never *staying* asleep long ... but that's for another post). My husband, who is totally supportive of our BFing and APing, got so "brainwashed" by these statements from his co-workers that he actually suggested it to me one night!!! Boy, did get an earful from me!

So, anyway, I tell people how much I love nursing her at night (and how much she loves it too!), and that neither of us really wake up to nurse anyway.

I love this story by another mom that was published in LLL's New Beginnings magazine: In My Arms

This time we have with our babies is so fleeting and precious and I want to cherish every minute of it ... even if it is at 2am!