Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping questions

Question Pumping questions

Hello all. I am a first time mom with a beautiful 9 week old baby boy. I am EBF, however, I am trying to pumpt to start saving milk for trips to the in-laws as well as for my return to work. I'm only going back occasional part time but I still need enough for at least one feeding while I'm away.
    I can only pump 1oz a breast. I have tried covering the pump, drinking and so forth. I am feeding about every 3-3 1/2 hours during the day. He is sleeping through the night. Should I be pumping more milk at a setting or is this normal?
    When should I pump during the day? I'm afraid he won't have enough when he eats, and I'm too tired to stay awake at night to pump. He goes down with the last feeding about 1030 and wakes at 0500 for the first feeding. He'll go back to sleep and wake at 0800 for good. Thanks for any advice

Default Re: Pumping questions

Are you using a manual or electric pump, double or single breast pump? Pumping takes practice. You will eventually be able to get more per pumping session. Also, you will get more pumping in the morning when you will naturally have more milk.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Pumping questions

electric double pump.

Lightbulb Re: Pumping questions

My advice is to pump one side while nursing the baby on the other breast for your first feeding of the day. I have to use the football hold to make this work.