Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pedi said...

Default Pedi said...

That he wants DS to be consuming half of his calories from solids by age one. Is this a good idea? How would I even know what "half" is?

Default Re: Pedi said...

IMO, go with the flow of your child. DD didn't start eating solids real well until over a year old. Before that, she mostly wanted milk. I wasn't going to stuff food down her throat! Thankfully I have a family doctor who dosen't follow the "book" timelines and follows the individual child's needs. Trust your gut and your child.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Honestly, that just seems silly - a perfect example of one of those half-formed ideas about breastfeeding that seem reasonable until you start questioning the underlying assumptions (like, "when a child is old enough to ask for it, they're too old to be breastfeeding").

There is no food that compares to breastmilk in terms of the calories, fat content, and nutrients necessary to a growing child, so replacing breastmilk calories with "food" calories has no inherent benefit. If your pedi is concerned about specific dietary needs (like iron or calcium intake) then he should address that with you and talk about what foods can help your LO meet those needs.

Some kids love food and happily eat a well balanced diet, and for them, sure, getting half their calories at one year from solid food probably happens naturally. Other kids (like my DS) have little interest in food, are extremely picky, and thrive on breastfeeding frequently well into their second year. The diet for your child is the one that delivers your child's needs in a healthy, balanced way.

For a pedi to arbitrarily put a limit on what percentage of calories a one year old should get from breastmilk...that would be a big red flag for me in terms of how informed he is on the topic, and on how willing he is to pass off his opinion as fact. I would definitely ask your pedi what he is basing his recommendation on, and if he has specific concerns related to your LO's diet - if he can't answer those questions to your satisfaction, then he likely just passing on outdated advice and you will be doing all the families in his practice a favor by questioning him!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

It seems to me that there is a very wide variation in the advice pediatricians give out on solids! My pediatrician told me that up until a baby is 1 year old breastmilk is sufficient nutrition, and solids are only for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. When DD turned 1 and still would barely eat any solid food, she told me not to worry because the transition from needing only breastmilk to needing lots of solids is a gradual one. DD finally got interested in solids around 14-15 months, but until that time she ate a tablespoon here and there and that was it. DD has always been in the higher percentiles for height and weight, so I'm pretty sure milk was adequate for her!

yup bad doctor advice warning....

My LO fell into the 3rd percentile for height, weight and head circ. He is getting about 2-3 meals a day from solids.

The pedi asked me if I planned to wean at a year, and I told him "NO". So he told me that he wanted DS to be consuming half his calories from solids by a year. Sounds like his way of encouraging me too wean early. While I hate pumping when I'm at work, I am more than happy to skip most solids when I am home to nurse DS.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    yup bad doctor advice warning....

Go with the flow of your lo.... breastmilk is better than solids anyway. If you are doing some solids and still nursing all the better.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!