Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: allergic to rice cereal?

Default allergic to rice cereal?

Hi - I can't seem to find anything about blood in stools and allergic reaction to rice cereal.
    My son just turned 6 months old today and we gave him 2 tsps of organic rice cereal mixed w/ part breastmilk and part water.
    Then later, when I went to nurse him, his poo was mucousy and had blood streaks in them. Not sure if it's the rice cereal or anything I ate?

Any advice? I emailed his pediatrician so waiting to hear back.

Thanks

Default Re: allergic to rice cereal?

I think my baby is allergic to rice cereal too. The first time that he really ate, he had bad rash on his chin. And every time I fed him rice cereal, about hours later, he would cry like he's in pain. So I switched to Oatmeal cereal and never have any problem again.

Rice allergy is not a commom allergy, yet she could be allregic to rice, or she could reacted to one of the ingrediants of the rice cereal or to something you ate, I know i wasnt much of help after all..best thing to do is write down everything you ate that day, If i am not wrong it takes about 2 to 24 houres to react through the digestive system, so its better you write down everything you had eaten in the last 24 hours before she had the reaction and see if you ate anything new that might have caused the reaction.

All the best with the allergist.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

It might have been something I ate, since I heard too that rice cereal causes the least side effects. And I eat rice all the time, so it's something my son should be used to. I did attend a party the day before and ate some stuff (I usually try to be very careful when eating at someone else's house or restaurant food). And I ate some pasta w/mushroom sauce, but I've had that dish before and I don't recall a funny reaction to that dish with him.
    And with the organic rice cereal, all the ingredients in there sounds normal to me.
    The ped. suggested holding off on rice cereal until he gets his 6 months checkup.
    Anyway, I may switch to oatmeal cereal or just hold off until he's 7 months and start again with carrots or something.

By the way, the thing with allergies, the clupirt doesnt have to be something new, lots of times its something that your lo was previosuly exposed to but developed a reaction to it later on. Like I said, keep a food diary..you will figure it out..all the best..

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Its probably the iron in the cereal. Lots of babies have problems with it.
    If you want to know for sure. Cook some regular rice and then puree or mash it and feed it to your lo... make it watery of course and see what happens.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

my son was allergic to rice too when i first gave him at 6 months. i even tried giving him just plain rice that i made on my own. he would have rash on his cheeks and chin. so i waited 2 months before reintroducing it. now at 8 months he is fine with the commercial rice cereal.