Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is something wrong with my milk?

Unhappy is something wrong with my milk?

ella's ten weeks old.
    before last week, she was having a bowel movement every day.
    last week, she didn't have one for four days
    (we actually had to use an infant suppository)
    one doctor told me she might be impacted and to call the ER NOW....
    but when i called, the ER RN told me that it was normal for breastfed babies to have as little as one bowel movement per week
    also, she's passing a lot of (smelly!) gas....
    help??????
    could this be my fault?
    also one nurse told me to give her water, but ella's only two months old and i've read i'm not supposed to give her supplementary water til she's four months old....help? anyone?

Default Re: is something wrong with my milk?

I am EBF my baby boy for 2 mo now. He went there for a while with one BM every 5th day. My Doc told me as well as my newborn info book that this is perfectly normal. I could time it to the hour on the fifth day. We didn't have to do any intervention. The doc said we could give less than an oz of apple juice diluted with little bit of water to aid in BM. My husband liked doing that because he felt like he was finally doing something. Baby boy has since started having BM every 3-4 day. Depends on what I eat. Oh, and he has gas like his Dad. There are times I don't know who to fuss at, dad or baby.

thanks for the reassurance!
    i guess the nurse who suggested the ER
    was used to dealing with formula fed babies
    *sigh*

same thing happened to my little one...when she was 2 weeks old (she's 10 weeks now), we took her to our pediatrician because she hadn't had a bowel movement in almost a week! our pediatrician said that our baby had the digestive system of a six-week old breastfed baby...and that it is common for breastfed baby to go several days without a bowel movement. our pediatrician also said that taking a rectal temperature might stimulate a bowel movement. i did it once and it worked, but now we are used to our baby's schedule in regards to bowel movements that we know she'll have one bowel movement every 5-7 days. i've never given her anything else to try and increase her bowel movements.

as for the gas...it may have something to do with what you eat. i had chili one day and baby was very fussy and gassy the next day. i use colic-ease gripe water (in a brown bottle - www.colicease.com) to ease her discomforts of gas. it doesn't necessarily get rid of her gas, but she doesn't cry and fuss when she does have gas. it works wonders for us!

Quote Originally Posted by ellas_mum
    ella's ten weeks old.
    before last week, she was having a bowel movement every day.
    last week, she didn't have one for four days
    (we actually had to use an infant suppository)
    one doctor told me she might be impacted and to call the ER NOW....
    but when i called, the ER RN told me that it was normal for breastfed babies to have as little as one bowel movement per week
    also, she's passing a lot of (smelly!) gas....
    help??????
    could this be my fault?
    also one nurse told me to give her water, but ella's only two months old and i've read i'm not supposed to give her supplementary water til she's four months old....help? anyone?
    It is perfectly normal for breastfed babies to go several days with no bowel movement. I've heard some who regularily go 10 days between poops. When she finally did go was the poop hard and dry, or normal for her? One source I found states this: "In fact, at 3-6 weeks of age, breast-fed babies may only have one stool a week. This is because breast milk leaves very little waste in the intestines to be passed. Again, if the stool, when passed, is not hard, this is completely normal. In general, it is almost impossible for strictly breast-fed babies to become constipated." (from HERE)

And I would disregard the water information. Breast milk is a natural laxative and is giving your baby all the hydration she needs, as long as you are seeing plenty of wet diapers. Babies who are breastfed don't need water - breastmilk is 88% water.

Good Luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I agree with only offering breast milk, but be sure your baby is hydrated esp. with the heat that has been occuring across the country. Be sure to check the soft spot on babies head for any indentation to be sure the problem it not lack of hydration. Living in Miami I have found that the heat even during winter has affected dd BM's and when I was in doubt I would offer the breast more than usual to be sure she would not dehydrate. Hope baby lets loose soon

Bless your little heart! Nothing is wrong with your milk, it is perfect just as God designed it. No the above posters are right your lo does not need water or juice, LLL says that EBF babies really do not get constipated. BM is a natural laxative. You sound like your are a wonderful mom! All the best!

thanks to you all!
    you're all so sweet!