Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Heard of speech delay in baby who had frenulum clipped?

Default Heard of speech delay in baby who had frenulum clipped?

My friend's LO had his frenulum clipped at a month of age. He's now 15 months, babbles alot but doesn't say many or any words. Could the clipping have hurt his speech?

Default Re: Heard of speech delay in baby who had frenulum clipped?

My BIL had his clipped as a baby and still speaks with a lisp. MIL thinks the Dr. either botched the clipping or that possibly he didn't even need it(I think they clipped his before sending him home from the hospital). It might be possible.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

yikes....that would suck

My daughter had hers cut at 3 months, and also didn't speak until she was ready. Unfor when she was ready, she was really ready LOL. Went from not saying much, to full sentences.
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

My mom is a speech pathologist and although I have never heard her talk about this specifically, she has said that it is best for babes to go and get tested if you think that there is a problem. If there is a problem it is easiest to fix early on. (She usually deals with swallowing, sucking, latch, eating problems with babes- not so much speech problems (she works at a hospital) so that may be why I havent heard her talk about speech issues from being clipped. )

She can get her lo tested usually through the local school district if they have a best beginnings program or something of a similar nature. The intervention is also totally free as well as the testing usually.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

My DS is 21 months old, hasn't had his tongue clipped and still only babbles saying maybe 3 words, I think you shouldn't be worried yet, children develop at different stages and I would wait and see what happens at 2years.

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

Quote Originally Posted by helens View Post
    My DS is 21 months old, hasn't had his tongue clipped and still only babbles saying maybe 3 words, I think you shouldn't be worried yet, children develop at different stages and I would wait and see what happens at 2years.
    I agree. My dd is almost 16 months and says mama and papa...and that's it. Every child is different and she shouldn't worry yet.