Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: diet to prevent autism?

Default diet to prevent autism?

Has anyone thought to not introduce wheat or dairy b/c some autistic children have reversed autism by cutting these out of their diets? I'm the first to admit I'm a paranoid new mom but it seems logical to delay these foods for awhile. Just wondering if anyone has opinions about this

Default Re: diet to prevent autism?

I'm sure there are some books out there..
    I would think that food aditives and dyes and corn syrup would be more of a worry then dairy and wheat.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I think that there is a website www.autismspeaks.org that addresses some of the diet issues you describe. Jenny McCarthey wrote a book about her son's battle with autism and in it describes how they've treated it, partially through diet.

My baby book suggests waiting on wheat products for at least the first year, which is funny (not funny ha-ha, but funy-interesting) b/c most baby cereals (flakes) like oatmeal have wheat in it! This isn't b/c of the autism reactions but allergic ones.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

We delayed these for allergy purposes until almost 2. We did intro them to see if he could handle them, which he can, but we limit everyone's dairy intake and gluten intake in the house. JMO, but Americans eat too much of each. I think that both are hard for our systems to digest, dairy since it is the milk of another mammal, and wheat since it is sticky. If you take flour and water, for example and mix it, it makes a sticky paste. It does the same in your intestines.

We limit these things just because it makes sense to me health wise, but in no way do I think either one CAUSES autism. I believe that the removal of casein and gluten helps children with autism, but if the child doesn't have the genetics for autism to occur, dairy and gluten are not going to trigger it. JMO of course. If I knew what caused it, I would be a very rich woman

I've also wondered the very same thing, because there is such a strong connection to diet and behavior in children with autism. This would lead one to believe it's an allergic condition, but that seems like a real stretch. I'm in the same quandry, as my friends and family all think I'm ridiculous for suggesting that we postpone some of life's most delicious affairs like bread and cheese until baby's two (or older if you follow some very consevative references)

I have thought about it. But since we don't do dairy anyhow - it's not a concern for us. The wheat/gluten on the other hand is big in this house...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Curious... Why would you delay dairy, other than for allergic reasons? I'm not making a judgement at all... just wondering really and wanting to decide if I should look into it. With dd I slowly introduced whole milk starting at 12 months. Was planning to do the same with this little one when he turns one. Thanks.
    Erin
    <a href=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/sherllie/KateandOwenthumbnail.jpg target=_blank>http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nthumbnail.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by sherllie View Post
    Curious... Why would you delay dairy, other than for allergic reasons? I'm not making a judgement at all... just wondering really and wanting to decide if I should look into it. With dd I slowly introduced whole milk starting at 12 months. Was planning to do the same with this little one when he turns one. Thanks.
    Im sure the links given above go into it better than I, but the theory is that a reduction (or all out elimination) of dairy and gluten in some autistic childrens diets has helped tremendously in their healing - so I suppose the idea is if you don't even give these foods it might help on some level. (plus dairy isn't all it's cracked up to be )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by shannon75 View Post
    We delayed these for allergy purposes until almost 2. We did intro them to see if he could handle them, which he can, but we limit everyone's dairy intake and gluten intake in the house. JMO, but Americans eat too much of each. I think that both are hard for our systems to digest, dairy since it is the milk of another mammal, and wheat since it is sticky. If you take flour and water, for example and mix it, it makes a sticky paste. It does the same in your intestines.

We limit these things just because it makes sense to me health wise, but in no way do I think either one CAUSES autism. I believe that the removal of casein and gluten helps children with autism, but if the child doesn't have the genetics for autism to occur, dairy and gluten are not going to trigger it. JMO of course. If I knew what caused it, I would be a very rich woman

When my son was in therapy most of the therapist suggested to me that I should try to take wheat and gluten out of his daily intake. Alot of people think that is helps with kids with things like ADD. I heard that it improves their behavior. But by no means have I ever heard that it can cause autism or ADD.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Thank you for all of your responses and the autismspeaks website did address dietary restrictions. This will be a gray area (causes of autism) until there is more research.Thanks again for responses!
    Last edited by mariposa; May 27th, 2008 at 04:00 PM.