Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tell me weaning hasn't started

Default Tell me weaning hasn't started

Please tell me my 11 1/2 month old isn't starting to wean! I'm very sad at the thought of this as I plan on nursing for at least 2 years. But for a couple of weeks now he's been refusing the afternoon nursing session. Very consistently, just that session. He goes 6 hours without nursing (he gets food of course and drinks, which I offer after offering to bf). Sometimes he'll snack on nursing for just a few seconds. The other sessions are still good. I'm worried because it isn't like he's doing a nursing strike where he refuses every feeding, he just dropped one of them. Is that how weaning goes? They drop one at a time? Already starting at a year though?
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Default Re: Tell me weaning hasn't started

If youy go by some people's definition of weaning, weaning starts when baby takes his first bite of solids or drink of anything not BM. That said, I don't think it is totally uncommon for a LO getting close to a year old to reduce his frequency, especially if it is just one session a day. Many nursing toddlers are down to 3-5 BF sessions per day by around 15 mo. I don't think you really need to worry about your LO stopping completely anytime soon. Weaning is often a very slow process that can last years, if child led.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Is your lo starting to walk or discovering some other new skill? Often when they are learning something new they can get distracted from nursing for a few days. In my experience, they usually make up for it once they have mastered the new skill and want to nurse again.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Don't sweat it!
    My nursling has slowly dropped sessions, but she's over 3 and still nursing!

Quote Originally Posted by tamarama View Post
    Don't sweat it!
    My nursling has slowly dropped sessions, but she's over 3 and still nursing!
    My son has also gradually decreased how much he nurses over time. At the age of four, he is nursing once or twice a day max, usually at nap or bedtime.

This is how weaning is supposed to be. The images we have of a baby being suddenly and dramatically weaned at one is not accurate at all in terms of how natural weaning occurs.

That's a relief! I am very happy to hear that its such a long and gradual process. I want him to wean himself at his own pace, I'm not going to rush it. I anticipate he'll be around 3 when he's done fully based on things I've read, if he stopped shortly after 1 I'd be really sad.

And yes, he is definitely on the brink of a new skill - he's ready to walk any day now. He's been cruising and standing without hanging on, but that first independent step hasn't happened yet. Maybe that is all it is, it's been a couple weeks without the afternoon nursing session so it does seem like a long time. We'll see, I'll keep offering.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!